Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

DUI #2 ,traveling nurse aide , last offence was in 2002 ,what

Customer Question

DUI #2 ,traveling nurse aide , last offence was in 2002 ,what to expect Vermont state,low income have two dependents , 16 and 18 .
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

This should be considered a second offense because its within 15 years of the last DUI.

Under Vermont law. a second offense conviction may result in a minimum jail sentence of 60 days up to a maximum of 2 years. Also, you're looking at fines of up to $1,500 plus court costs.

You will be required to attend a state approved alcohol and drug rehabilitation program., perform 200 hours of community service, and your license will be suspended for up to 18-months following a second offense.

Unfortunately, Vermont does not offer any sort of hardship license that will allow you to drive during the suspension period.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that information i got on Vermont department of Motor vehicle site...not worth it...Not satisfied

Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.
Hi - Did I misunderstand what you asked? I thought you were asking what the penalties are. if you have another question or want to ask something else, feel free to ask. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

s is not my life style just a circumstance that happened i made a bad judgement call after all all i wouldn't risk the lives of others or my own..failure to stop at yield and a bac witch was very off is my def fence is a little discouraged by this pitch of law with no objection on my own behalf. I also had a panic attack witch is diagnosed and treated counseling and medication at the time

Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.
I understand that. Bad things happen to good people all the time, unfortunately.

However, the court really cannot show favoritism or apply the laws differently to different people. It should be expected that you'll get the same treatment as anyone else who has the same predicament as you. More than likely, that means a suspended jail sentence and a minimum fine. But, the mandatory penalties - - community service, rehab program and a suspended license is going to be ordered if you are convicted.

You may want to consult a local criminal defense attorney to see if there are any irregularities with your citation or some other ground you could pursue to beat the charge.