How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question

Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 91043
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been charged with misdemeanor battery and felony terrorist

Customer Question

I have been charged with misdemeanor battery and felony terrorist threats (Cal. PC 136.1(B)1) in California. I was arraigned on March 25, 2013 and appointed a public defender. I next appeared in court on April 15, 2013. At that time the Public Defender told the judge that she had not yet recieved the complaint nor the police report. I next appeared in court on May 13, 2013 and incredibly again the public defender again told the judge that she had still not received the complaint nor the police report, so the judge ordered me to appear at a settlement conference on June 3, 2013. I have never heard from the public defender at all except these court appearances.

My issue is that they are beyond the 60 days in which they have to take me to trial, in violation of my 6th amendment rights. I have read several California cases where the courts said that a defendant can be implied to have waived their right to a speedy trial if within the 60 day period they agree to appear at a trial date which is beyond the 60 day limit. However I have never even been asked if I waived my right to a speedy trial, nor has a trial date been set.

Am I correct in believing that they have violated my 6th amendment rights? If I was to make a motion to dismiss based upon this at my June 3 court date would I have a chance of getting it granted? Also how should I make the motion? I would think that I should make a written motion with some Points and Authorities, and a Declaration in support of it, and then just ask the judge's permission to submit it when I appear in court. From reading several California Supreme Court cases I truly believe that I am correct. I know that California courts have been given discretion to go over the 60 day limit based upon a "finding of good cause", but may they do this without even asking me, nor even mentioning the 60 day limit, and not even setting a trial date? I cannot find any case which clearly answers these questions. It seemed to me that they were trying to slip this by me without making me aware of my rights.

Is there anywhere I can get a skeleton of a motion to dismiss based on violation of my right to a speedy trial? Or somewhere I can find an example of one so that I can use that to see how to write my own motion from it?

I would like someone experienced with California Criminal Law to answer this question. I figure that even if my motion is denied it may make a very good appeals issue. Am I wrong in that belief?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you were not brought to trial within 60 days of arraignment, then the state is in violation of your right to a speedy trial. You can make your motion to dismiss orally or in writing. Here is a copy of a Serna Motion, for failure to prosecute in timely manner. Serna Motion.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Daniel, I am afraid that I do not understand or know what more information you wanted unless you actually tell us.

Saying "bad service" without any additional information is disingenuous, since you asked specifically for the motion you need to file in your case and that motion is called a "Serna Motion" and I provided you a link to a very good Serna Motion. If there was more you wanted from us, please ask so we know as we cannot read your mind regarding what more you wanted to know unless you tell us.

I would appreciate you being communicative with us as that is part of how this service works best.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Last | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Fran L.

    JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

    Satisfied Customers:

    18 yrs of NYC public defense. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Fran L.'s Avatar

    Fran L.

    JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

    Satisfied Customers:

    18 yrs of NYC public defense. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 27 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Related Criminal Law Questions