Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
58645016

My husband is in federal prison on a 12 month and one day sentence.

My husband is in federal prison on a 12 month and one day sentence. We were told that he would probably only do 9 months. I read something online about the second chance act program. Is there really such program available? If so, how do you qualify and how do I apply for it? Any information you may have on this program would be great.
Welcome to JustAnswer.

Yes, there is. It does not lessen a person's sentence however. The Second Chance Act provides assistance once people are released from incarceration. The assistance can range from substance abuse treatment to employment and/or housing assistance. State and local governments, Indian tribes, and non-profit organizations run programs that are funded by the Second Chance Act. You apply with those agencies for benefits. Here is a link to get you started:

http://www.usich.gov/funding_programs/programs/second_chance_act/