Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I recently got arrested for shoplifting. I have a record but

I recently got arrested for shoplifting. I have a record but no felonies and not have been arrested in 10 plus years. What kind of outcome can I get?

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

Are you asking for the possible range of punishments?

JD 1992 :

Also, what were the priors for?

JACUSTOMER-ub2d7ob1- :

Priors were also shoplifting. What punishment range would there be?

JD 1992 :

How much property are you accused of stealing?

JD 1992 :

What state are you in?

JACUSTOMER-ub2d7ob1- :

less than $200. They told me that it was not a felony.

JD 1992 :

What state?

JACUSTOMER-ub2d7ob1- :

I am in Arkansas

JD 1992 :

Just one second, let me pull the statute. Please stay here in chat.

JD 1992 :

It should be a class A misdemeanor with a punishment of up to one year of jail time and/or a fine up to $2,500.

JD 1992 :

Probation is possible.

JACUSTOMER-ub2d7ob1- :

JD, should I get in touch with the public defender's office if I can not afford an attorney? How do i know if I can have probation?

JD 1992 :

Yes, you would want to contact the PD. The probation issue will depend on whether or not the District Attorney offers it. Don't talk to them directly about it, talk to your lawyer (when you get one) and let them know any extenuating circumstances.

JD 1992 :

The other ones are far enough back to where the DA may be willing to forgive them.

JACUSTOMER-ub2d7ob1- :

How do I find the public defender's office for that particular court? What do you mean about forgiving them?

JD 1992 :

In other words the DA doesn't look too badly on them and will still offer you probation. You can look in the phone book or you can call the court on Monday and ask for the PDs office.

JACUSTOMER-ub2d7ob1- :

JD, you have given me some hope because I just got a wonderful job with the state and making changes in my life. i know I made a mistake and I am willing to pay for it but I do not want to go to jail and lose my job. Thank you for your help.

JD 1992 :

You are very welcome and I do wish you the best. I am going to exit and assist others now but I hope everything works out good.

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.