MyraB
MyraB, Lawyer
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in criminal law and civil litigation from pre-trial practice to appeal.
74614265

I have been contacted by the Bank of Dalian to say I have been

I have been contacted by the Bank of Dalian to say I have been left a large inheritance. They have asked me to either come in person or use the services of an agent. The suggested agent is : Eric Au Yeung, Xuchang Huimel & Co LLP, 22 Wang Hoi Road, Kowloon Bay, Kowloon
Hong Kong, Tel: +85281932477 or [email protected] Nobody has asked for any money (yet) Is this a scam? Adrian
Hi. It will be my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Unfortunately, it appears to be a scam. If you have a lawful inheritance, it is the duty of the executors or administrators of the estate to see that you receive what is rightfully yours. They would have no need to lure you to do something, or make demands. I don't see any legitimate reason that you would need to appear in person or use the services of a specified agent. If they need verification of your identity, there are notaries and other documents that are available. As an heir you have every right to demand something from them and I suggest you do so. If you never hear from them again or if they don't meet your demands then you will know it is a scam. If they meet your reasonable demands, such as an agent of your own choosing, then you will receive the inheritance. I cannot stress enough that if this is legitimate, the bank has a duty to find you and make sure you receive the inheritance. If this is legitimate you have the power to control the situation.

Also, ask yourself if anyone would have reason to leave you such an inheritance and use a bank in Hong Kong. Usually when a person receives a large inheritance they can at least trace it back to a person or reason why they would be receiving it.

I realize it is exciting when someone hears they may be entitled to an inheritance that they weren't expecting, but that is what scammers rely on and they are extremely savvy. Even bright, intelligent people are scammed, and your asking this question means you realize this may not be legitimate which means it probably isn't.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.