MyraB
MyraB, Lawyer
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in criminal law and civil litigation from pre-trial practice to appeal.
74614265

just got a ticket for soliciting a known prostitute, the officers

Customer Question

just got a ticket for soliciting a known prostitute, the officers that pulled me over towed my car but didn't arrest me. he said to show up to court and the judge might dismissed it. I have no criminal record at all. I don't want this to ever show up on my record for future employment.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  MyraB replied 1 year ago.
Hi. It will be my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Under Michigan law MCL 750.448 and 451, soliciting is a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 93 days or a fine of not more than $500.00, or both, for a first offense.

If your concern is avoiding a criminal record, then Pre-Trial Diversion (PTD) may be an option you want to look into. Michigan offers PTD on a regular basis in cases where a criminal defendant has little or no prior criminal history.

A pretrial diversion (PTD) or pretrial intervention (PTI) is an agreement with the prosecutor to delay action on a criminal case for a specified time period, usually six months to a year, during which the defendant agrees to stay out of trouble and possibly complete additional requirements, such as completion of drug or alcohol counseling or rehabilitation, where appropriate. At the end of that time, the charge is dismissed. This may be what the officer was referring to.

Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

MyraB, Lawyer
Experience: I have over 20 years experience in criminal law and civil litigation from pre-trial practice to appeal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much. Would it benefit me if I get a lawyer to go to court with me? like I said before I have never been in trouble with the law before, I go to school full time and work.

Expert:  MyraB replied 1 year ago.

Hiring an attorney would be up to you and would depend on what you're comfortable with. It may benefit you to have a lawyer to go to court with you. A lawyer would be able to guide you through the process and speak directly with the prosecutor to determine what the prosecutor intends to recommend. A lawyer would also be able to make sure that the recommendation was within reason for the locality and similar cases. In other words, why have your case delayed and open for a year when everything could be concluded in six months or less.

If you decide to go ahead without an attorney, be sure to mention that you have no record, are employed, go to school and want to avoid a criminal record, and seek to have the case delayed for the shortest term possible, or dismissed outright.

I wish you well and thank you for the positive rating.