How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalEagle1 Your Own Question
LegalEagle1, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 793
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LegalEagle1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi; I have an employee that terminated Jan 2 of this yr.

Customer Question

Hi; I have an employee that terminated Jan 2 of this yr. I am in a highly regulated profession. This employee stole his non compete among other issues. he is trying to directly harm and compete with my practice however, i am never able to do anything about it. I recently became clued in that he was accessing my email account. i have obtained an IP address and know he did this from his computer. How difficult is it to pursue a court order from Verizon to obtain the identity (i am positive it is he) regardless i need to know.
second once the IP is confirmed (can it be like a fingerprint to the owner my understanding is yes) how difficult to prosecute, intellectual property, trade secrets etc
is this clear cut
is it criminal or civil or both
what direction should i take
thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LegalEagle1 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with your question today.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Fortunately Ohio has criminalized the type of conduct you have described.

You should report the suspected unauthorized computer access to law enforcement. They routinely obtain from service providers such as Verizon records showing IP addresses as to who has connected to an account/server.

Once they obtain the information, they can file criminal charges and you can file a civil case against the person.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.