Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

My husband was sentenced to 12 months and 1 day in federal

My husband was sentenced to 12 months and 1 day in federal prison. His counselor told him that because of the 1 day, he would likely only do 9 months. Will he do any of that time at a halfway house or will he likely do the whole 9 months at the prison camp?

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

Normally in federal prisons the entire time is done at the prison itself although that isn't an absolute rule.

Customer:

ok

JD 1992 :

Occasionally they will allow someone to go to a halfway house for some kind of treatment but their rules are so stringent there that it isn't really much different than being in the prison facility.

Customer:

can an inmate request to go toa halfway house at any point?

JD 1992 :

As a practical matter a request to be transferred to a halfway house isn't really considered by the system.

JD 1992 :

The federal system is much more rigid that the state systems.

Customer:

ok, thanks for your help

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome and best wishes to you and him!

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information. Also, issuing a positive rating keeps the question from “timing out” so you can return in the future if you think of a follow up.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you on a future question just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up as soon as I see it.

Customer:

ok thanks