CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

My daughter was arrested on 3/9/1987 for stealing and charged

Customer Question

My daughter was arrested on 3/9/1987 for stealing and charged with a Class C felony. She received a SIS and 5 years probation. She is currently trying to become a foster parent and this charge is holding up the process. She was informed that the charge wouldn't appear. How can she get this record cleared?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 3 years ago.

CrimDefense :

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem. SIS (Suspended Imposition of Sentence) probation is where a defendant pleads guilty to or is found guilty of a criminal offense, and then is placed on SIS probation for a fixed period of time. Once the offender successfully completes the probationary period with no new criminal charges and completes all the probation requirement, an SIS will not result in a conviction “showing” on a criminal record. A first offender will ordinarily seek an SIS because an SIS becomes closed record, under the Sunshine law in Missouri, upon successful completion of probation, and is not considered a conviction for purposes other than subsequent criminal prosecutions. The defendant may also be entitled to deny any prior convictions on applications for employment if they successfully completed their SIS probation. The issue here, which is why the felony is causing a problem/hold up is because certainly governmental agencies can still see the record. When a person is applying for something involving children, the elderly or a governmental type job/position, the record can be seen. While the general public may not be able to see this, since she is seeking to become a foster parent, they do have access to her record. They will see everything that she has done and that she has stayed out of trouble since 1987 but it is not something that will just be cleared or that they will be prevented from seeing

Hi Dee. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!