Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 28 yrs. exp. in criminal law
19127644

My son was working at a convenience store in WV and ABC did

My son was working at a convenience store in WV and ABC did a sting and he unknowingly sold beer to a 19 year old. He was issued a citation. What should be his next step?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Is the citation one that he has to make a personal appearance for or can he pay the fine by mail? Did his employer terminate him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He must appear in person. He was fired. It was in Greenbrier County.
Hello again and thank you for your reply. I would highly recommend that your son consider hiring a local criminal defense attorney to assist him in resolving this citation. That is because if convicted he would the have a misdemeanor conviction that might effect his future employment prospects. In addition. the range of punishment could include a fine of up to $500 and potential jail time, although the latter is very unlikely. An attorney might be able to get the citation dismissed if there was an issue with evidence or how the sting took place, or at the very least, get the punishment reduced to the minimum amount.

Please let me know if you have specific questions I can answer and that I have not addressed. I would be glad to try to address those for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has contacted an attorney that has suggested to plead "not guilty" and get a "Personal Recognizance Bond" and pay a retainer of $1,500. He would appear before the magistrate without an attorney present. Does this sound reasonable?
Yes, for his first appearance, his arraingment, if he does not have an attorney he should definitely plead not guilty. He can always change his plea at the next hearing which would be a pretrial hearing, if he decides to plead guilty. He may not have to pay a bond since he is not currently in custody. However, the court may put one in place. The $1500 is pretty much a standard rate for a case like this, but all attorneys set their own fees, so he could check around if he wants to. He will want to make sure he understands the fee agreement and what he is getting for his money before he gives the attorney any retainer.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney with 28 yrs. exp. in criminal law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help.
You're very welcome and best of luck to your son.