Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I plead guilty to a Domestic violence charge in Virginia

Hello, I plead guilty to a Domestic violence charge in Virginia as advised by my counsel, saying everything would be easier this way. I was falsely accused as i only protected my self from my ex wife that was scratching me. I was scared and confused. I had only been in America for less than a year. I have a green card and was told I was to be deported if I went to trail. I plead guilty, convicted, and placed on probation. I have a clean record except for this issue. Since this I have lost Gov't job and clearence. This happen Sep. 2011. Is there a way to expunge or remove or over turn this from my record or what legal action can I do to clear my name and start over. I have my court document from this case but I dont understand it or what it means?
Thank You
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately In Virginia, you can only expunge charges that were dismissed or nolle prossed (prosecution dropped). If you plead guilty or no contest or were found guilty then you cannot get the charges expunged.

The only possible thing you could try is to get a pardon from the governor - - which is very difficult to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your quick response. This is heart breaking news. Will this charge be permanent on my record. Even after years?
Hi - sorry for the delay.

Unfortunately, yes the offense will be permanently on your record. The only possible way to have this removed is if a pardon is obtained from the governor.