Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney

Im in the State of Texas. I got home tonight and had a business

I'm in the State of Texas. I got home tonight and had a business card on my door. It had "PLEASE CALL THIS OFFICE IMMEDIATELY" and a local number and a case # XXXXX below it. The seal on the card has The State of Texas Investigations. Is this legit? I do not have a criminal background or past, however have had credit problems in the past. I recently completed bankruptcy protection but worried this may be something serious. I tried calling the number and it rang and rang and a non-descript messaging said the wireless caller wasn't available. This leads me to believe it could be a debt collector from the past, is this legit or not?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.

Brandon M. : Hello there.
Customer: hello
Brandon M. : Hello, thank you for your question.
Customer: sure
Brandon M. : Does the card list an address?
Customer: no it does not
Brandon M. : Ok, that tells me all I need to know.
Brandon M. : Basically, it's not a representative from any governmental law enforcement office, or even from the Public Defender's office. The card is from a private party. It could be that someone is suing you and wants to serve you with a copy of the complaint and summons. It could be that the person is a private investigator and wants to ask you questions related to a case that has nothing to do with you. But there would ordinarily be no obligation to call the number or interact with the person in any way.
Brandon M. : There might not be any detriment to speaking with the person, but you would expect more of an explanation if you would somehow benefit.
Brandon M. : So that's basically what we can know based on the information. It's a private party and you don't have to respond. Personally, I wouldn't call.
Customer: OK, thanks. I thought that might be the case. I've heard some instances of debt collectors doing this. It is kinda scary to get home and receive a card like this, wondering what it is.
Customer: So basically, I'm under no obligation to contact the number. I don't know of anyone who would be trying to sue me. I wasn't sure if process servers would leave notice like this or not.
Brandon M. : It could certainly be a process server. We really just don't know. I can tell you that when I have someone do something like this, it's because they're getting sued.
Brandon M. : It's intended to be scary. They're trying to scare you into cooperating. That's why it seems consistent with someone serving a lawsuit. But we don't know for certain what the motive is, we just know that it can be ignored.
Brandon M. : Is that helpful?
Customer: Yes, it has been helpful. Thank you.
Brandon M. : Great. Did you have any other question?
Customer: No I do not. Thanks for your help.
Brandon M. : Great. I wish you the best.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience: Attorney
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.