Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

I was questioned today by an investigator from the OIG for

I was questioned today by an investigator from the OIG for introducing contraband into the prison and accepting a bribe for the contraband. I admitted to it and resigned from my job. Am I going to jail?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex Esquire : Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.
Alex Esquire : Are you online with me?
Customer: Yes
Alex Esquire : Welcome to JustAnswer.com
Alex Esquire : I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.
Alex Esquire : What was your position prior to your resignation?
Customer: So am I although I brought it upon myself
Customer: Correctional Officer
Alex Esquire : Did you have an attorney or a union representative present during the questioning by OIG investigator?
Customer: Yes, I had the union president with me during the investigation. I have only been on the job since December so the union isn't much good to me.
Alex Esquire : Why did you make an admission?
Alex Esquire : When did this take place?
Customer: I brought the contraband in shortly after I was hired. I admitted because they had the names of the inmates that I was dealing with and I didn't want to lie and them prosecute me even harder. I had the investigation today.
Alex Esquire : While you should not lie, you did have the right to remain silent.
Alex Esquire : Were you detained during the investigation or put in handcuffs or in some other way informed that you were not free to leave?
Customer: No. After the investigation, I signed my resignation papers and left on my own.
Alex Esquire : What was the contraband and what was the amount of compensation that you received for bringing it?
Customer: 6 packs of cigarettes and I received $1200 for all of them
Alex Esquire : Well, I am afraid I have some bad news.
Alex Esquire : Please do not be angry with me when I tell you that you can be charged with a federal felony which carries a mandatory sentence of 15 years upon conviction.
Alex Esquire : The reason it would be likely that you would face federal corruption / bribery charges, is because you were a sworn correction officer at the time you received the bribe.
Alex Esquire : Also, you can face heavy fines if convicted.
Alex Esquire : This is an extremely serious situation and you need to consult with a local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
Alex Esquire : Generally, it can take up to 30 days for the federal grand jury to issue an indictment, but there is hardly any chance that you would not be criminally charged in this matter.
Customer: I was told that the attorney general might dismiss the charges because I was new, I hadn't been to the academy yet and I resigned from my job and I have a spotless military record. Any of this true?
Alex Esquire : They lied to you.
Alex Esquire : They would state anything to get a confession, as such clears a way for them for criminal prosecution and indictment.
Alex Esquire : The information I gave to you is based on the current law, public police and prior precedent related to similar situations.
Customer: Is there any chance that they might just give me a fine?
Alex Esquire : Here is a link to a recent case similar to yours:
Alex Esquire : http://www.fbi.gov/washingtondc/press-releases/2013/former-corrections-officer-pleads-guilty-to-bribery-charge
Alex Esquire : Unfortunately, if you are charged with this federal felony, there is a mandatory 15 year prison sentence, plus fine and a criminal forgeiture.
Alex Esquire : forfeiture*
Alex Esquire : This is an extremely serious crime and there is hardly any chance it can be resolved with just a fine.
Customer: Ok
Alex Esquire : Were you sworn in for your position?
Customer: Yes
Alex Esquire : That is going to be a major issue.
Alex Esquire : Also, let me correct myself
Alex Esquire : Actually a maximum statutory penalty for this crime is 15 years, if you are convicted you might receive a much lesser prison sentence.
Alex Esquire : Please understand, you need to consult and hire a local criminal defense attorney asap!
Customer: Ok. I will
Alex Esquire : I am very sorry this has happened to you and I do wish you the best of luck!
Customer: Thank you.
Alex Esquire : I also do want to thank you for your military service to our great nation.
Customer: Thank you
Alex Esquire : Your military service would be a mitigating circumstance in any criminal sentencing.
Alex Esquire : Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions or if you need sources to find a local criminal defense attorney?
Customer: what does mitigating mean?
Alex Esquire : That means facts that work in your favor and lessen the penalty.
Alex Esquire : mitigating opposite of aggravating
Customer: Ok. I sure hope so.
Alex Esquire : Please do not discuss this case any further with anyone, but your local criminal defense attorney.
Alex Esquire : It is very important.
Customer: Will do. Thank you again.
Alex Esquire : Thank you and please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.
Alex Esquire : Do you have any related follow up questions for me?
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Dear Brooke,

Thank you and please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor