Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

A friend of mine is facing some pretty serious felony charges.

A friend of mine is facing some pretty serious felony charges. Before the charges he was approached by the FBI Counterterrorism Task force about possibly working as an informant. He declined at the time. He is considering asking them to make a deal as far as the charges go in exchange for working for them. My question is in two parts:

1. Can he get in trouble/receive extra charges for asking?

2. Is there any possibility that they would agree to something like this?

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.
Kirk Adams : 1. Can he get in trouble/receive extra charges for asking? The short answer is No.
Kirk Adams : Plea agreements are negotiated all the time, and it's not illegal to offer to be an informant as part of a plea deal - it's done all the time.
Kirk Adams : 2. Is there any possibility that they would agree to something like this? Sure, it is possible that the prosecutor would agree to accept this as part of a plea agreement.
Kirk Adams : Law enforcement officers need informants, and are usually willing to make a deal if it will aid in bringing down more criminals or a bigger criminal.
Customer: Ok so asking or offering couldn't be construed as attempting to interfere with the prosecution? The charges are in state court, and in a different state then the FBI agent.
Kirk Adams : No, it is just part of a plea offer - - you're not offering something illegal. It's just part of a compromise offer.