Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

My 30 yr old son was arrested this morning for unlawful communication,

My 30 yr old son was arrested this morning for 'unlawful communication', for texting an ex-girlfriend that he was going to kill her. He was drunk at the time at home. He is out of jail o a personal recognizance bond, with a court date in 3 wks at a summary court in Greenville SC. What are the possibilities of sentencing when he goes to court?

Thank you for the information and your question. I am sorry to read about the situation your son is in. The crime he has been charged with is a misdemeanor and carries with it a minimum fine of not less than $100 nor more than $500, the possibility of jail time of up to 30 days. That said, unless your son has been in trouble before it is highly unlikely that he will receive the maximum sentence of $500 fine and any jail time. In fact, he may even qualify for pre-trial intervention which means that if he stays out of trouble for a certain amount of time (the judge will say) that the charge will be completely dismissed and there would be no conviction.

You can see the law he was charged with by going to:
Also, if you want to see how the summary court works and what his rights are, there is an explanation by the Court at:

I highly recommend that he have a criminal defense attorney represent him in his case, since this is a criminal proceeding and a conviction does carry consequences with it. There is a chance his attorney can get the prosecutor to either drop the case, or at least reach a plea deal to the pre-trial intervention.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.