Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

On May 15, 2013 my son and I was on our way to the movies.

On May 15, 2013 my son and I was on our way to the movies. I didn’t realize I had forgotten my wallet at home until we got to the movie. As I was returning home to get my wallet, I was pulled over. I want to a panic because I know I didn’t have my wallet and I believed I had an attachment out on me for speeding tickets. I lost a big portion of my income and could not afford to pay the tickets. In a panic I gave the officer my sister’s name because I know she did not have any attachment. The police officer still arrested me for not have identification and he said I was speeding. So they booked me under my sister’s name. I have to go to court on August 14, 2013. I know they will ask for identification which I don’t have because the person who name I gave them is not me. My daughter bailed me out of jail under the false identity I used and I was told, if I don’t appear in court the bail bondmen will arrest her because she signed to papers to get me out of jail. What can I do to rectify this situation. I was told what I did was a felony and I could go to jail. I don’t know what to do. How can I fix this without going to jail? Do I need a lawyer? Is lying to a police officer a felony? Please tell me what to do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Alex Esquire :

I see that you are currently offline.

Alex Esquire :

Please let me know when you are back online and I will be happy to answer your question.

Customer: I'm online now.
Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex Esquire :

I am very sorry about your very difficult situation.

Customer: So I'm I
Alex Esquire :

Well, let me start by letting you know that this situation is extremely serious.

Alex Esquire :

Is your sister aware of this situation?

Customer: Yes
Alex Esquire :

Well, the issue is that you can and likely would be charged with a felony because you used your sister's identity in a way that is subjecting your sister to criminal prosecution.

Alex Esquire :

Were you photographed and fingerprinted at the police station?

Customer: Yes
Alex Esquire :

Well, at this point you need to contact a local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible

Alex Esquire :

Because of the potential felony charges that you might be facing it is important for your local criminal defense attorney to get in touch with the DA office and to start negotiating the resolution of this case.

Alex Esquire :

Your local criminal defense attorney might be able to negotiate a plea bargain that would allow you to please to a reduced charge and avoid potential prison time.

Alex Esquire :

Does this make sense?

Customer: This is my first time getting arrested and I have never committed any crimes before is it possible that I can get off with probation?
Alex Esquire :

Yes

Alex Esquire :

It is possible

Alex Esquire :

However, please do not discuss this situation with anyone, except for a local criminal defense attorney, as anything that you say can be used against you.

Alex Esquire :

So, it is important to hire a local criminal defense attorney asap and let him handle this matter.

Alex Esquire :

Also, if you are questioned by the police about this, do not make any statements, but demand to have your local attorney present during any questioning or interrogations.

Customer: I'm in New Orleans can you recommend anyone? I don't want to go back to jail
Alex Esquire :

Sure

Customer: Can the person who signed the bail bondsman paper work be charged with a crime?
Alex Esquire :

I am not permitted to refer customers to any specific attorney or law firm, but you can use these well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites to find an experienced and established local criminal defense attorney:

Alex Esquire :

www.martindale.com

Alex Esquire :

www.lexmundi.com

Alex Esquire :

www.justia.com

Alex Esquire :

www.lawyers.com

Alex Esquire :

Absolutely, if this person knowingly made a misrepresentation related to your bond

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related questions?

Customer: If my sister do not press charges can that help my case?
Alex Esquire :

No

Alex Esquire :

It is not up to your sister.

Alex Esquire :

It is the state that would pursue charges.

Alex Esquire :

They do not need your sister to cooperate

Customer: Thanks for your help. If I have anymore question can I chat with you again or this this a one time thing? This isn't first using this site and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
Customer: How much time can I get for this?
Alex Esquire :

If you have a related follow up question, you can follow up on this question thread, but if you have a new question, you can request my help by starting your question with "This question is for Alex Esquire".

Alex Esquire :

It would be hard to estimate any potential jail sentence, without knowing the specific criminal charge that might be brought against you, as the state has few options and can charge you with identity theft or obstruction of justice or with some other felony charge, but hopefully your local criminal defense attorney will be able to help you avoid any jail time.

Customer: Thanks for your help, I will get right on this.
Alex Esquire :

I wish you the best of luck and GOD bless you!

Alex Esquire :

Please click on the "Excellent Service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.