Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

What will happen if a sex offender is late in his 1 year to

What will happen if a sex offender is late in his 1 year to re register as a sex offender in Alaska if he is just a day or two late will he go to jail and if so how long.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

yes

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex Esquire :

I am sorry about this unfortunate situation.

Alex Esquire :

I am afraid I do not have good news for you.

Alex Esquire :

It is a class C felony for a sex offender to fail to register.

Alex Esquire :

AS 11.56.835. Failure to Register as a Sex Offender or Child Kidnapper in the First Degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of failure to register as a sex offender or child kidnapper in the first degree if the person violates AS 11.56.840

(1) and the person has been previously convicted of a crime under this section or AS 11.56.840 or a law or ordinance of this or another jurisdiction with elements similar to a crime under this section or AS 11.56.840; or

(2) with intent to escape detection or identification and, by escaping detection or identification, to facilitate the person's commission of a sex offense or child kidnapping.

(b) In a prosecution under (a)(2) of this section, the fact that the defendant, for a period of at least one year, failed to register as a sex offender or child kidnapper, failed to file the annual or quarterly written verification, or changed the sex offender's or child kidnapper's address and did not file the required notice of change of address, is prima facie evidence that the defendant intended to escape detection or identification and, by escaping detection or identification, to facilitate the person's commission of a sex offense or child kidnapping.

(c) In this section, "child kidnapping" and "sex offense" have the meanings given in AS 12.63.100 .

(d) Failure to register as a sex offender or child kidnapper in the first degree is a class C felony.
Alex Esquire :

Above is the relevant statute.

Alex Esquire :

Unfortunately, Class C felony in punishable by up to 5 years in prison upon conviction.

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?

Customer:

oh my gosh

Alex Esquire :

I am sorry to say, but it is a very serious criminal offense in most US states.

Customer:

I don't know what to do as i live in hawaii, its my friend who was her for a short time

Customer:

went back and i can't get a hold of him i am thinking something happened

Customer:

I guess theres nothing i can do. I thank you for the information you have given me.

Alex Esquire :

Well, your friend needs to consult a local criminal defense attorney asap.

Customer:

yes in alaska

Alex Esquire :

The prosecutors are notorious for prosecuting crimes related to any type of sex offender failing to properly register.

Alex Esquire :

It is the matter of public policy for them.