Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

My fiance was arrested for domestic violence. We were fighting

My fiance was arrested for domestic violence. We were fighting in the parking lot and he slapped me - not hard, but enough to turn my ear red. The police were called (we were loud), and he was taken in. He has a history, so they are looking to keep him for a long time. His problem is with alcohol, and I have asked the courts to put him in a program to help him with the real problem. He gets drunk and acts stupid.
He is asking me to recant my statement to the police, where I stated that he slapped me once, not hard, and I slapped him back. He is very nervous that they are going to send him to prison.
What can I do to help him, and also see that he gets the help that he needs? His arraignment is next week.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

yes

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Customer:

thank you

Alex Esquire :

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Customer:

thank you

Alex Esquire :

Unfortunately, there is no easy solution to your situation and such situations are very common when it comes to domestic violence cases.

Alex Esquire :

Basically, you cannot just get the charges "dropped" as it is up to the state to prosecute your fiancee and not up to you.

Customer:

I know. this is not the first time he has been arrested, which makes it that much more difficult.

Alex Esquire :

Also, if your fiancee has a long criminal history, the state will be very aggressive in pursuing this case against your fiancee.

Customer:

he asked me to recant my statement and tell them I said it because I was mad

Alex Esquire :

So, if you try to recant or change your statement to the police, you would put yourself in jeopardy of being arrested for filing a false police report, which is a serious crime.

Alex Esquire :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

that's what I thought, which is why I didn't want to do it. Also, they saw that my ear was red

Alex Esquire :

Correct

Alex Esquire :

You do not want to put yourself in jeopardy of being charged with a crime of filing a false police report, when you know it might not even help your fiancee anyways.

Alex Esquire :

Unfortunately, I have seen similar situation hundred times in my practice and it is a difficult situation to be in, without really any ease solution.

Customer:

Is there anything I can do to help him without jeopardizing myself? I would like to see him get into a program for alcoholics and get the help he needs to stop or at least reduce his drinking. He acknowledges that he has a problem with alcohol.

Alex Esquire :

What you will be able to do as far as asking the court for treatment for your fiancee, is to make a victim impact statement and ask the court to order your fiancee to undergo alcohol addiction treatment as part of his sentence and the judges are very receptive to such requests.

Alex Esquire :

Does that make sense?

Alex Esquire :

Is your fiancee out on bail now?

Customer:

No, I have not posted bail. I'm undecided as to if that would be in his best interest long-term.

Alex Esquire :

So he is in jail now?

Customer:

Is there a format that the victim impact statement should be in?

Customer:

Yes, he's in jail, and his arraignment is next Thursday

Alex Esquire :

Not really.

Alex Esquire :

You would simply be able to express your request prior to the sentencing.

Alex Esquire :

I see.

Alex Esquire :

The reason that I asked, is it would help your fiancee, once he gets out to show to the court that he is seeking treatment for his alcohol addiction by attending AA meetings and other alcohol treatment programs.

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer:

I made such a request the last time this happened. I asked for the court to remove the no-contact order, and I asked for him to receive treatment. He was ordered to go to MRT (anger management), but he showed up with alcohol in his system and was removed from the program. Now he is facing charges related to not following court-ordered therapy.

Alex Esquire :

I undestand

Customer:

I can search for a program that would benefit him, but I can't force him to follow through.

Alex Esquire :

Well, your fiancee will need to address his alcohol addiction, or the court will make sure that he stays sober by placing him in prison.

Alex Esquire :

I completely understand.

Customer:

They told me that if I post his bail, he would be required to wear a monitor so he would not be able to drink. I considered posting bail on those conditions, but I'm not sure they will release him with the other charge pending.

Alex Esquire :

No

Alex Esquire :

He would not be released until the other charge is resolved

Alex Esquire :

unless there is a bond set for the other charge and it is posted.

Customer:

I think that charge is non-bondable

Customer:

I plan to attend his arraignment and find out more

Alex Esquire :

then, he will not be released until the case is resolve.

Alex Esquire :

I am very sorry that you have to deal with this ordeal, but you do not deserve to be hit by anyone and I admire you for taking a stand and also by trying to help your fiancee at the same time.

Customer:

I love the man, and the problem is alcohol. If he will address that issue correctly, we can be very happy.

Customer:

You have given me an answer to give him related to his request for me to recant my statement, and a direction to go with the victim impact statement and finding him the help he needs.

Alex Esquire :

Thank you and please click on the "Excellent Service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required. I wish you all the best.

Customer:

Thank you for your assistance.

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor