Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

i left a business and did not pay for my goods, when I realized

i left a business and did not pay for my goods, when I realized what I had done, ( about 500 yards from the business, I pulled in to a parking lot to turn around and was blocked in from leaving from a man I later discovered was the owner. I told him I was turning around to go back, but he insisted on pressing charges. I was given a citation by the officer to appear in court. This is my first ever offense, is this something that I will face jail time over?

Thank you for the information and your question. Can you tell me about how much the "goods" were and what they were?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

approximately 350 dollars and they were flowers

Hello again,

Thank you for the information. That would be considered "petty theft" which is a 1st degree misdemeanor. The maximum for a misdemeanor of the first degree in Ohio is a term of imprisonment of not more than 180 days, a fine of not more than $1,000, or both. However, generally speaking, if this is a first offense, and assuming that you are actually found guilty, you are likely to only receive a fine and maybe probation of up to 6 months. However, you should discuss this with your attorney, since there might be a chance that you can either get the charge dismissed based on the facts, or a plea bargain of some type.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just a few more details, I have no criminal background, I offered to pay him on the parking lot, or give him my credit card. I also did not keep the plants, the officer and I unloaded them from my car. When I said I was turning around, I passed the entrance to the highway and went 50 yards to the church lot to turn around. If I were stealing intentionally I would have just got on the highway. Also there was no weapon etc involved. After they loaded up the plants in my car, I got my wallet out and went back in, went to the restroom and walked back out the other entrance never thinking I had not paid.

Thank you for that information. I based my original answer on that basic information. In other words, you had told me you had turned around and that you did not have any priors. This is why I said there might be a chance of a dismissal. Although, the fact that you actually left the store without paying would generally be all the State would have to prove to prove theft. However, if your attorney and the prosecutor believe you, then that could lead to a dismissal or a more favorable plea. But you will have to pay a fine if you are convicted.