Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I have a questions about gun laws. I live in Iowa 22 years

I have a questions about gun laws.

I live in Iowa 22 years old ect..

3 years ago I was convicted for Driving without owners consent, I did not take the car (everyone says that so thats hear say). But that's what I was charged with.

In Iowa that is classified as a Aggravated Misdomeanor.

- Aggravated Misdemeanors
An Aggravated Misdemeanor is punishable via two years imprisonment or up to a year in jail with a fine between six hundred twenty-five and six thousand two hundred fifty dollars. In the case of Aggravated Misdemeanors, any conviction or deferred judgment within the twelve years, no matter the state, counts as prior offenses. The number of offenses against an individual increases the fines and the amount of possible imprisonment.

This confuses me because federal gun laws state: 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1). It says that anyone "who has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year" is barred from possessing a gun.

Now what is the difference between imprisonment and jail time?

I was just going to get a 20-Gauge shotgun for duck season in June, but I think I am F$*%ED.

I was always under the impression that as long as you don't have a Felony you are able to buy a gun.

That being said, if I am unable to buy a gun because of that reason is there anyway to prove that I am not a danger to society and that I am a normal law abiding citizen able to own and control a gun? Or should I just give up and buy a bow.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hi

I am an attorney with more than 25 years experience and I look forward to assisting you with this matter today

There is no difference between "imprisonment" and "jail time" as far as incarceration goes. However, most counties will allow a person to serve time in a jail if that sentence does not exceed 18 months

As to your situation, since the crime carried a possible penalty to exceed one year, you are not eligible to own a gun. It would not matter if your sentence was suspended or of if you got probation. The fact that it carries more than one year is enough to prohibit your ownership

You would have to get the matter expunged and to do that, you would first need a governor's pardon.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm just going to assume governor's pardon's don't happen for people? You have answered my main question though.

I have never heard of people getting a governor's pardon.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Pardon's are given. You can contact the Governor's office and request the application.

Everyone is treated equally when it comes to evaluation of a pardon request. It cost nothing to apply for it.

Once you get the pardon then you can Petition to have your matter removed from court records.

Check out this link to read more on pardons in Iowa

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is what I am looking for 3 more questions relating to to the original.

How do I get my court information for all previous crimes (My owi, and one when I was 17 criminal mischief)

What do you recommend I do to improve my chances of getting a pardon or my gun rights restored.

I don't have any credit, the state requires a credit report. I have applied for a car loan once (denied). And a credit card loan (Denied due to lack of credit history) What should I do here?

http://www.8thjdcbc.com/Downloads/Special-Restoration-of-Citizen-Rights-Firearms-Pardon-and-Commutation-of-Life-Sentance-Applicatrio1.pdf

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hi

1 - You contact the Clerk of the Court in each county where these convictions occured and the clerk can give you your record.

2 - Have a good job, have community activity, have good neighbors, friends and family who will be interviewed as to your character. There really is no winning receipe.

3 - You have a credit report and I suggest you contact Experian . If for some reason you are told there is nothing on record for you, then have them put that in writing and send that.

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.