Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice
20355756

I really want this sales job, I impressed them during the interview

I really want this sales job, I impressed them during the interview and now I am asked to explain my background check of class b misdemeanor charge and I am asking for help to write the best letter of explaining it.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there

-

We cannot write the letter for you but we can give you some wording and ideas and then take a look at it when you are complete and make some further suggestions if needed -- if that will help you.

Can you answer the following questions for me --

-

What was the charge for (there are a lot of class B misdemeanors)

-

How long ago did it happen?

-

How old were you when it happened?

-

Do you have sales experience before this job?

-

-

MARY

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

class b misdemeanor for writing a $22 dollar check to a conveinance store for gasoline. I unknowingly did it, but I procastinated and blamed the other person on my checking account for it happening. I was naive when i got a letter stating a warrant was in my name. I ended up being detained at my local DMV and year later while renewing my driver license and had to set a court date before being released. I have a clear record, other than this, I've only been pulled over for an expired registration sticker. So naive to the consequences of this charge.

The charge happened in 2009, so fairly recent. I was 37 years old at the time.

I have about 10 years of sales experience and sources to explain my character, my honesty, hard work, and integrity.

thank you!

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what additional information can I provide you?

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Nic --

-

I apologize for the delay -- I did type a response earlier but the system knocked it out for some reason.

-

My suggestion to you here is to state that you were very surprised that this matter actually appeared in a records search because at the age of 37, you have never before this or afterwards had any issues with the criminal law and at the time it was simply a calculation error in your checking account when you were changing accounts and you believed that it had been taken care of at the bank level through a withdrawal from the bank and you were not aware that it had not been paid until you went to renew your license a year later -- and you were shocked that it had not been paid through the bank and immediately made arrangements through the court to take care of the matter. Finally, tell them that because the matter is a misdemeanor it is eligible to be expunged from your record - a process which you are now looking into getting started through the court immediately at which time your record will be clean again (contact your local county criminal court clerk's office -- they will either give you or direct you to the forms that you can make an application to have the record sealed or expunged and because it was a misdemeanor then it will not come up in background checks again for employment purposes - only law enforcement will have access to it).

-

Employers are funny when it comes to this sort of thing -- they can reject you for any reason or no reason (it is up to them) so there is no sure fire way of writing an explanation letter to satisfy them but in the matter of a returned check many people make mistakes and it can happen to any of us so if you write the letter up in an apologetic fashion that it was a misunderstanding and you thought that it had been paid through your account, you should be on good footing with them.

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below. Pressing a positive rating below will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as a trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

Legalease, Lawyer
Experience: 13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice