LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

Customs query

Hi,While visiting Vegas a few months back with two of my mates we met up with another 3 friends towards the end of our stay. They stayed with us in our hotel for a weekend. Following a heavy night out they left our hotel to set off to California and start their holiday. Myself and two others were heading back to the UK having finished out holiday. The Cali bound guys had however left some clothing items in our hotel which between the three remaining group members we packed in our suitcases and flew back to the UK. I am pretty sure my bag was searched as I had 3 bottles of beer I was taking home, which when I got back were at the top of my bag but this is normal for me to get searched (can't get Bud light in UK so worth brining some back). However a few weeks later I returned the clothing items to my friend, at which point he asked if we cleared customs without issue as he may have "left" some marijuana in his shirt pocket as he could not locate it when he got to California. Obviously I was not stopped in the states and had no contact with the TSA or the UK border agencies when I passed through customs, however let's assume there was a tiny amount of marijuana in his shirt (he says at most it was about half a joints worth) could I be in for questioning the next time I fly out or do I assume that because I was not stopped that there is no issue? I am flying into Canada later this year with the intention of dropping down into America to visit Boston and New York and just want to know if there is anything I can do before leaving to find out\sort any remaining issues? Personally I don't take drugs so I am not really au fait with the laws surrounding the whole subject. In normal circumstances I would have checked all the pockets to ensure there was nothing untoward in the clothes, however it was a last minute pack and dash for the airport. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You asked: let's assume there was a tiny amount of marijuana in his shirt (he says at most it was about half a joints worth) could I be in for questioning the next time I fly out or do I assume that because I was not stopped that there is no issue? Had a search of your luggage found the marijuana, I can assure you that you would have been held for questioning at that point. The fact that you were not stopped means that nothing illegal was found---and you won't have any future problems.

There are no remaining issues for you. You are good to go.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Doug
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Nick. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.