LegalEagle1, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.

Locked by Customer Service

Customer Question

OK, I'll bite. My wife (Laurie) and her sister (Kim) were pulled over tonight and Laurie was arrested for DUI - .08 which is the limit in Indiana, I am told. When they searched her purse they fould clonazepam that Kim takes for her MS condition. Laurie lays out Kim's pills and manages her finances and prescriptions each week. They are holding her without bail until she can go before the judge Monday morning. It never crossed our mind that she was doing anything illegal by carrying it for her. I was worried about the DUI until I started reading up on the Felony charge potential. She is scared to death and I can't even see her until Monday morning in court. What should I do? Laurie is a 30 year special ed. school teacher with nothing but a speeding tickets in her past. They are holding her without bail. Right now I just want to get her out.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LegalEagle1 replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with your question today.

I am sorry to hear about your wife's situation. It is unfortunate that when people are arrested late Friday or early Saturday morning that they have to wait until Monday morning to have their bond determined or reviewed by the court.

What I suggest that you do is that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area and ask them how the specific court in which your wife's charges have been filed are handles the setting of bonds. In many circumstances the courts have procedures in place where they will review cases over the phone. In situations where a party is not represented the information regarding a defendant is provided by law enforcement and a pre-trial service type agency. It is very one sided. Under such procedure many people receive no bond or a high bond. Defenses lawyers typically will know how the system works and in many cases can have information regarding a client presented to judge to have a bond set.

Also the lawyer will be permitted to go and speak to your wife and explain to her what the process is and then tell her (and you) what information or documents you will need to have for court on Monday, if they are not able to get an acceptable bond set prior to then.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi: Your advice was good, but it was several hours before I received it. I also contacted the website to inquire and never received a reply. Consequently I can give you good marks, but not this service. Not sure how to do this. I'm thinking owes me a refund. I went ahead and engaged a local lawyer that will represent Laurie Monday, before I received your reply this morning.

The kid at the jail window told me that a lawyer could see her any time. I just want her to know I'm not upset with her. Can a public defender or advocate relay that message to her for me?

Mike G.