Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

I received a ticket for first degree trespassing at a casino

I received a ticket for first degree trespassing at a casino because I was on the disassociated persons list. I have never been in trouble before and suffer from schizoaffective disorder and bipolar disorder. I was in a manic phase when I got ticketed, and am worried about what could happen to me. I just spent almost the last six weeks in the hospital for mental health, and am receiving electro convulsive treatment 3 times a week.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hi

I am an attorney with more than 25 years experience and I look forward to assisting you with this matter today

I am sorry to hear of this situation and your health issues.

Please tell me what were you doing that you were given the ticket?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was in a casino and had hit a $1350 jackpot. This meant that I had to give them my ID and once they ran it in their system, it showed that I was on the disassociated list. I was promptly taken by security and Missouri Highway Patrol. I was placed "under arrest", fingerprinted, and photographed. I was given a ticket to appear in court on May 15.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you

I am sorry to hear of this matter.

The trespass carries a possible up to 6 months in jail. Though it is highly unlikely you would have to go to jail. A judge would probation give a suspended sentence and if you went onto the casino properties again, then the jail sentence would kick in

It also carries a possible $500 fine.

I suggest along with the suspended sentence the fine would be imposed.

I suggest that when you go to the Hearing May 15 you plead not guilty and request a public defender and let that attorney handle this for you.

I am sorry you are in this situation. I am sure it is worrisome, but it can be worked out

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I plead not guilty and ask for a public defender, what will happen since I admitted to it when I was arrested? I only get $1318/mo. What does a public defender cost? Why shouldn't I just pay the fine?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Because you need to be sure there is no jail sentence imposed. As I stated, it carries up to 6 months and Anytime there is a potential for jail, I always suggest a local attorney be involved.

There is no guarantee that the court will simply impose the fine.

A Public Defender is a free of cost attorney for those who need one and cannot afford a private attorney