Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

if someone is arrested for theft do they have the right to

if someone is arrested for theft do they have the right to see the evidence against them. If so, what is the best way to go about it

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Tex. Code of Criminal Procedure, Art. 39.14 states that a defendant may file a motion to the court, with a copy to the other party. This document provides an example that may be helpful.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so just change the names and have the arrested individual give it the officers. Or can someone else file this

That's just a general example of what a request would look like. It may include things that aren't relevant to your case, and there may be things you want that aren't listed. Think about what information you are seeking.

If you wanted to hire a local attorney, he could draft and file it for you. The motion goes to the court, with a copy to the DA's Office. The DA gets the information from the police.