LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
58185682

My son received a 10 yr suspension of his drivers license for

My son received a 10 yr suspension of his drivers license
for an dui. Is it possible to shorten this? The incident
happened almost two years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

What is your son's driving record?

Does he have any previous DUI convictions? If so, how many and when?

Also how was he charged in this case, was there a chemical test? If so, what was the result?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He received 2 dui's about 11years ago. He received a 90 day suspension,5days in jail,

and attended the appropriate court ordered counselling and classes.

About 9 years later received another. He was passed out in his car.

He got 30 days in jail, and the ten yrs suspension. He also attended

counselling classes and AA meetings. He has been completely off

alcohol, holds a steady job walks everywhere.

I'm wondering if the courts have any leniency in a case like this and

how would he petition for this without a lawyer. The last lawyer got him

a 30 day postponement for his jail time and for only $1500. Talk about

value for your money.

Thank you for that additional information.

The offense your was convicted of carries a possible license suspension of ranging from 1 year up to 10 years. Since he has served the mandatory license suspension of 1 year he can petition the court that imposed the 10 year suspension to modify that portion of his sentence and permit him to drive. He should be prepared to submit proof that he has attended and successfully completed counseling and is currently active in AA. Documentation that he is employed is helpful also. Basically anything that he can present to the court to show that he has turned his life around and that alcohol is no longer a factor in his life will be helpful. Generally courts will allow privileges but with restrictions. He should expect if the court grants his motion he will initially have limited hours and possibly an ignition interlock device.

_________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would you think he could do this without an attorney? If not , how would

he choose one in this area; Ft Wayne In. Is there some way to choose

a fair and reputable dui attorney?

He can file a motion to modify his sentence without an attorney. The advantage of using an attorney to file the motion is the attorney will be familiar the court's policies and will be able to advise your son as to what steps to take in increase the likelihood that a motion will be granted.

I generally refer people this website when they are looking for a criminal defense attorney.

http://www.nacdl.org/impak/cms/members_online/members/findalawyer.asp

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.