Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

how good are the cameras in the at home breathalizers

JD 1992 :

Are you referring to the parts that shoot and analyze the light beam?

Customer:

yes

JD 1992 :

Some of the machines are reasonably good and some are absolutely unreliable. In addition, the calibration can vary. The only way to know how accurate your particular machine would be would be to test it at the same time using the police owned one for accuracy.

JD 1992 :

In addition, just as with the police units, there are a lot of factors that can cause the machine to be incorrect. For instance, if you were to burp within a few minutes of using the machine it could throw off the reading.

Customer:

thank you that helps a little

JD 1992 :

If you are using it for fun or to keep an eye on guests at a party then they are probably ok but if you are intending to rely on it to protect yourself, I wouldn't.

Customer:

court ordered

JD 1992 :

Ah. I would be very, very careful with it. If it shows you anywhere close to the limit I wouldn't trust it.

Customer:

im just worried on how good the camera works my daughter was curious and blew into the machine

Customer:

it was dark there was no light in the room but I noticed there is no flash when you blow so I wonder how good the pictures are in a dark room

I had to switch this to a Q and A because the website kept knocking me offline.

What happened when your daughter blew into it?
It doesn't really work on a camera the way you are thinking. It shoots a small beam of light through the machine and measures how much light makes it through so you might not actually see a flash.
Can you see these posts?