Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  9 years legal experience, primarily in criminal justice

If i am charged with slicing

Customer Question

If i am charged with slicing a prostitute in multnomah county Oregon first offense but have a sex offense record that is 14 years old in another state what can i expect from sentencing, am i still eligible for John school?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 11 months ago.
Hello.

Patronizing a prostitute is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and/or a fine.

John school is for first offenders only as a diversion program. It is possible you might get offered it if for some reason the prosecutor does not pick up on your prior conviction, but technically you are not eligible because of the prior. You can still be sent to john school as part of a sentence, but you would still have a conviction. Given that your last offense was so long ago, even if you are not allowed to go to john school as a diversion program that would not end in a conviction it is likely that the worst sentence you get would be probation with some conditions attached (i.e. such as completing john school, doing community service, and/or paying a fine).
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience: 9 years legal experience, primarily in criminal justice
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

are out of state convictions readily available to prosecuter?

Yes...prosecutors and police have access to the national criminal information database. You may luck out if they don't run your out of state record, but it is not a question of access because they have that.
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

if the previous conviction was serious do you still feel iwont have jail time

Obviously I can't make any guarantees because it depends on the prosecutor and the judge, but since this offense is fairly minor and the previous one took place so long ago, jail time seems unlikely. I would still recommend hiring an attorney or applying for the public defender if you can't afford an attorney because it is always a good idea to have someone to protect your rights and to negotiate a plea deal on your behalf because the penalty does carry the possibility of jail time.