Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I would like to know if I can talk to and visit with an inmate

I would like to know if I can talk to and visit with an inmate if I used to work at the facility where he was incarcerated in OK?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hi

I am an attorney with more than 25 years experience. I will provide your information today and look forward to assisting you.

There is no prohibition on former staff visiting inmates, as long as the proper procedures for those visits are followed. In other words, the inmate has to place your name on the list of potential visitors, you cannot have any felony convictions

Once you are placed on the list by the inmate, some institutions have a policy that you must call 24 hours in advance and let them know you will be making a visit. You will need to check with that institution to see what the policy is in that regard

But there are no laws that restrict former employees from such a visit.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just to verify, this includes using my real name, phone calls, mail, etc.? I wanted to send a letter first but was unsure if I should do so until I spoke to be sure.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Of course, you want to use your real name, etc.

There are no laws prohibiting a former employee staff member from that contact. It would only apply to those who are current employees. As a former employee you have a right to communicate with an inmate in that facility.

If there is an "in-house" policy prohibiting it, I would not be able to garner that information. But you would not be breaking any laws. And if there is such an In House Policy, all they can do is tell you of it, provide you a copy of it and then not allow the visit.

But there is no law against it. So it is not something you can be criminally charged or arrested for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Last question and then I will give you amazing feedback. Let's just say (and I do not know yet) there is an inhouse rule limiting me visiting, there would be nothing they could do about me writing and talking though, right?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hi

That is correct. As stated there are No State Laws against it. So you are not breaking a law.

And they have to advise you of a policy, if there is one.

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.