Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

I have a felony conviction from 2003 in Georgia. I now live in Colorado and want to change

I have a felony conviction from 2003 in Georgia. I now live in Colorado and want to change my name. Is there any way around my felony? Colorado seems to be the only state that is so strict about that.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

Yes

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex Esquire :

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Alex Esquire :

What was your felony conviction for?

Customer:

Trafficking Methamphetamine

Alex Esquire :

Unfortunately, it is not only Colorado, but pretty much all the 50 state that make it very difficult for someone who was convicted of a felony to legally change the name.

Alex Esquire :

Have you completed your sentence?

Customer:

I am on probation until 2022

Alex Esquire :

Unfortunately, I am afraid I have some bad news for you.

Alex Esquire :

You would not be able to legally change your name in any US state, until your probation is completed.

Customer:

After that is it possible?

Alex Esquire :

Also, once the probation is completed, you would have to prove to the court that the legal name change is not for the purposes of concealing your felony conviction, which is extremely difficult and from my experience such name change requests by people who have felony convictions are very rarely granted.

Alex Esquire :

So it is possible, but would be very difficult.

Customer:

What about women who get married, do they get the same treatment?

Alex Esquire :

No

Alex Esquire :

They actually can use the married name by the operation of law.

Alex Esquire :

It is not a court approved legal name change.

Alex Esquire :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?

Customer:

No that's all. Thanks for your help. It is not what I wanted to hear, but at least now I know.

Alex Esquire :

I am very sorry and I wish I could provide you with a more favorable answer, but I know you want the truthful and accurate answer.

Alex Esquire :

I wish you the best of luck and GOD bless you!

Alex Esquire :

Thank you and please click on the excellent service rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX and God bless you too! Take care.

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor