stevewlaw
stevewlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  27 years of experience.
73182738

I was pulled over for an expired Maryland vehicle emissions.

I was pulled over for an expired Maryland vehicle emissions. I presented office with a valid out of state Pennsylvania drivers license. The office wrote citation for "driving without a license" is this legal? (I understand the emission part was my fault) The license is what I’m concerned with.

stevewlaw :

Hi [USERNAME], my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do the best to help you. My advice is general only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am assuming that you are a MD resident but still have a valid PA drivers license. Since your license is valid, the citation for driving without a license is not proper. If you are a MD resident, you generally have 30 days from the time you establish your permanent residence in MD to get a MD drivers license. That would be a different citation, if that was the officers intent.

stevewlaw :

The requirement to obtain a drivers license in a particular state depends on where your primary residence is established. If you only reside part time in MD, you should not be required to obtain a MD drivers license.

stevewlaw :

I hope this information has been helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or clarifications. Keep me posted on how things turn out. Best steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was longer than 30 days about 2 months. Would that still make the citation improper?

Yes, I believe the citation was still improper. I suggest you go to the closest MD DMV and get your MD license. I double checked the MD drivers license requirements and you have 60 days to get your license. Here is the link for you...http://www.mva.Maryland.gov/Driver-Services/Apply/newtoMD.htm

I would then plead not guilty to the charge on the ticket. You will probably have to take a trip to the Courthouse to take care of this. I wish you the best of luck. Please keep me posted.

Thank you so much for your positive rating my friend. Best, Steve