RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Is it illegal for someone to pull down your pants in a public

Is it illegal for someone to pull down your pants in a public place in front of people ?
Thank you for using Just Answer.

There is no law in Illinois that specifically makes it unlaw to pull another person's pants down in a public place. If a person were to pull down their own pants and intentionally expose themselves, that could lead to a possible charge of something like public indecency, but it is not unlawful for someone else to do so.

Theoretically, it may be considered a "battery" under Illinois law, though I cannot say whether a prosecutor would actually file charges over something like this. My professional opinion is they would not.

Battery is found in the criminal code at 720 ILCS 5/12-3, which provides the following:

A person commits battery if he (or she) intentionally or knowingly without legal justification and by any means causes bodily harm to an individual or makes physical contact of an insulting or provoking nature with an individual.

As the law expressly states, battery occurs where there is bodily harm or insulting or provoking contact by any means. Thus, even if the accused never personally touched the other person, if contact was made in some manner, then it can be a battery. However, the law is much more commonly used where there is actual contact -such as in a fight, when people strike one another.

It's a misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail and/or up to a $2,500 fine.

This sounds like something that happened at school, as you mention the principal -and I think you honestly would get more results taking it to the principal, or if they continue to refuse to cooperate, to the school superintendent.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did take it to the school superintendent who promised me to talk to the principal for that meeting. The principal asked me not to report it to the police. He will handle the situation. He did not give any punishment to the student, not even a detention. In my presence he told him not to do that in public,When he was kid , he used to do that in the basement. I was shocked and I feel that there is other reasons why the principal does not want me to meet the student parents. My 22 years old son who was a substitute teacher at the school refused to go back teaching after the principal asked him to come help zip up his Christmas costume.

Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate the additional facts, but I don't see a follow-up question of any kind. However, as I said, there's no law that specifically makes what happened a crime. You can report it to the police; ultimately it is the decision of the prosecutor's office whether they wish to actually pursue it. I don't know what they will do, of course - my opinion is that they will think it was a hurtful prank, but not something worth taking on in a court of law.