I am sorry for the delay. I was just about to hit the "send" button, and my answer went into cyberspace! So, I will answer it again!
Your instincts are correct. You should NOT rely on your attorney's representation that the "DUI class will send confirmation of your completion of the class." I am sure that your attorney is excellent, but, as you stated, he does NOT practice law in the state in which you were convicted.
The best way to ensure that the court receives the information that it needs is to do the following:
1. Contact the company who ran (or is running) the DUI class. Ask that the company fax or send you written confirmation that you have successfully completed the class. Also ask that the company include the date on which you began the class and the date upon which it was completed. In any case, you will have a copy of the completion for your records.
2. Call the court in which you were convicted and ask to speak to someone in the "criminal
" division. The court clerk can look up your case and check if the company sent in the confirmation of the completion of the DUI class. If it did, you need to do nothing further.
3. If the court has NOT received the confirmation from the company who ran the DUI class, then (hopefully), you will have received the successful completion confirmation from the company. You can then ask the court clerk for the court's fax number and fax the information to the court clerk with whom you spoke. In the best case scenario, you can fax the information while you are on the phone with the clerk. If that is not possible, then you can call the clerk after you sent the fax to confirm that she has received the information. Once received, the clerk will put the information into your file and/or the computer
4. If the company that ran the DUI class has NOT sent the court the confirmation of your successful completion and you have not received the confirmation from the company, then you MUST contact the company by phone, e-mail, etc. and request that the information be sent to the court and that you be sent confirmation that the information was sent to the court. You should also ask that the company send you confirmation of the date that you began the class and the date that you successfully completed the course. You can then fax that information to the court. Again, call the court and ask to speak to the clerk in the criminal/misdemeanor division. You can ask him/her for the fax number and then fax the information to the court.
5. In any case, you should have a copy of the completion of the DUI course for your records. That way, if there is ANY question about your attendance, you will have a record of your completion of the class.
I hope you find this information useful.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you for your business!
***Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace the advice or assistance of an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. If you need any more information, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you!