Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I have come to gain the knowledge that I was voice recorded by two sep

Customer Question

I have come to gain the knowledge that I was voice recorded by two separate people. I live in NY so it is a one party state,

The first time I was recorded was about 4 years ago. I lived with my friend at the time and he recorded me talking about details of sex with my ex girlfriend. I am almost positive he turned the recording over and my ex is going to use it to bring rape charges against me. During the time I lived with this friend he also would say weird things to me such as dead man walking. It was very weird. I will also mention that I am beginning to believe that I might be autistic and I know I am bipolar because I was diagnosed. So with that being said I realize that I am what some call socially awkward and I often miss social cues. I did not pick up on the fact that he was recording me until I looked back at the situation, So my questions becomes is there anything similar to entrapment or any other defense that could make his recording thrown out if ever brought to court. Could I argue that he took advantage of the fact that I have a hard time picking up on things and the fact that he also said things like “dead man walks” to get the evidence thrown out. He has had instances of taking advantage of me before so I guess looking back he is not a true friend what other ways could I have the recording thrown out?

Lastly, I will mention that I know he had videotaped girls in another state when he was in the military. He recorded them having sex secretly without their consent and he also sent me an email one time with pics of nudity of one of these women. I never asked for the e-mil and was disgusted but never said anything. So can this also be used against him and to get the recording to be dropped,. Could my defense be autism even though I was never diagnosed and might I be helpful to talk to my current therapist before any court case is brought to see if I am autistic in addition to bipolar.

Lastly I have to say that what I am about to write I have already told my therapist:

I have two voices in my head. They other voice is from someone who threatened to hit me when I was younger and it is not a hallucination, it is actually a real voice. My therapist is not concerned as long as I am not a threat to myself, which I am not. So could I use this a defense for when my friend recorded me under that idea that I was so stressed at the time of the alleged rape due to the voices and living situation with my family as a defense to rape and also can I say the same for when I lived with my friend who recorded me ten years later from the alleged rape because at the time I was so depressed from loss of family support and drug use that I could use insanity defense or something similar in addition to the fact he took advantage of my social awkward personality and the fact that he made the videos and said dead man walking to me

Also if I used the defense that my social awkwardness and other things would that likely to work in my favor or against me for example if the judge/jury said if you are that socially awkward and were insane then , you must be insane now must have supervision for the rest of your life or be out in a group home or could I argue that that was then and this is now and I have recovered enough to be aware of people taking advantage of me What other laws could help me in this case?
Lastly and can I get in trouble for having the knowledge of the naked videos and pictures and not reporting it beforehand
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am sorry to hear that you were recorded, but as you said NY is a one party consent state. Entrapment, or anything similar as you stated above, would require you to prove that he made you say things that were not true or that you would not have said in any ordinary conversation whether recorded or not. In the case you describe above, you do not give any indication of this, you just say you did not know you were being recorded. Thus, I am afraid you cannot use entrapment or anything similar to try to get the tape excluded.

As far as your psychological issues, as your consent to the recording is not required by NY law, you cannot use the argument that you were not mentally competent and thus not able to give valid consent. Thus, I am afraid your disorders could not be used to invalidate the tape.

The fact he may have committed a crime would be able to be used to discredit his testimony, but what was said by you on the tape was said, so his criminal background would not be sufficient to discredit the tape. If he did illegally make these video tapes, you would have to contact the women involved somehow and they would have to file suit or criminal charges against him for his conduct I am afraid.

Your mental disease or defect IS INDEED A LEGAL DEFENSE in NY. You would have to prove that you are not mentally capable of forming the intent to have committed a crime, but in doing this I am afraid you would then be labeled as incompetent. This does not mean you would be considered in need of supervision or confinement to a mental health treatment facilities for the rest of your life if the doctors testify that you were this way at the time of the alleged offense but since being treated you are no longer incapable of forming intent to commit a crime.

You cannot get in trouble for having any naked videos or pictures unless they contain minors in the videos or pictures.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

might it be good idea that that I talk to my therapist about me possibly being autistic now so I am ahead of the game. Also I was diagnosed with ptsd

Thank you for your response.

Your therapist's opinion of your condition and ability to determine right and wrong is indeed going to be instrumental in this type of case, so you should talk to him about it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Also in addition to using insanity as a defense could I use the fact that I have two voices in my head as defense and that I could not deal with it back then as well as I do now or could they say since the voice is still their and it can not be removed if you were insane then and the voice does not disapeear then you will always be that way or do they base it on how far I have come in dealing with the voice better and differently and moving forward from the voice and with moving forward with other things ewgardless of the voice

Thank you for your additional question.

The voices are all a part of your claim that you were not competent to form any intent to commit a crime at the time this occurred. As far as the voices still being there, this is something that could make the court deem you in need of treatment, but not to hold you in any facility if your doctor knows about the voices and has determined you are not a danger to yourself or others.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also what is the staute of limtations on the videos an dpictures. It was back in 2005 and the videos and pictures were in virginia. I never saw the videos but I saw the pictures he sent to my email in NY. And can I be held responsible for not turning in the info I have about the videos and pics in the mean time

Plus any proof I have that I have grown and understamd things differntly now can help right?

Thank you for the additional information.

You cannot be liable for not turning in the pictures as there is no duty to report. The statute of limitations on the pictures is none, since it is considered an ongoing offense in VA.

Proof that your condition and understanding has improved would indeed be evidence in your behalf.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he also had sex with a women unwillingly on video in south and North Carolina. I learned tonight that she is trying to bring rape charges against him. Whst is the max punshment for rape in south and north carolina. Also I have video proof of my ex girlfriend several times cutting me off in the road and trying to cause accidentsi have it all on my personal car dash camera as well as a couple people who say they know she is having my car vandalized. could this evidence against her help the rape case be dropped and what are some other things that help get a rape get dropped?
Thank you for your new questions.

SC Rape would carry a maximum penalty of up to 20 years in prison. NC has a sentence of 25 years to life.

The video from your dash cam and the statements of your witnesses would be evidence that could help you get the alleged rape charges against you dropped.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other suggestions that could help it get dropped. Is it possible that the court would see the videos as attempted murder when people cut me off plus it would show that people are trying to hurt me. Last I had to stop at the police station today to write another harassment report. This was at the state police and I have confirmed some of the cars that do this are police cars but not marked cars. For example and other cars were there which have also cut me off is it legal for police to this use this type of tactic to bring in a suspect. Asking the police have violated my civil rights many times including not writing the reports fir some of these cars. In fact I only had 3 written but all from different police departments. And it seems they have been putting different people I some if the same cars. Can the fact that they violated my rights help my case what else could help drop the case
I am afraid the only way that this would impact the current case of the alleged rape is if you can prove that these acts have to do with the alleged rape directly. Only if your rights on the alleged rape case have been violated would it be grounds to dismiss the rape charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
During a rape investigation do other people such as family have lnowedge at times of the investigation. Also are the police allowed to cut people off and harrass them to bring a suspect in
The police do not have to disclose times of the investigation I am afraid and the police can arrest someone by any means necessary, but they cannot just keep harassing them as you are claiming they are doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your info I did not want to mention this before and it does not change any of the facts but there is something known as gangstalking where an individual is targeted for many reasons such as being a whistleblower or outspoken. It is like cointelpro that the fbi uses to discredit people. for things like the fact that they have mental illness and thus everything ithey say is illness. I never thougt this would happen in America but it doesand being that police are also involved many times some officers do not know they are being fed lies about someone. I saw that you were a police officer before so if I am not mistaking and I did not want to have you think I am saying all cops are corrupt but gangstalking and slow killing of targeted individuals can be googled it is real and they use no touch torture. It sucks but like the saying denying reality no matter how unbelievable or awful it may be does not make things go away. Anyway I thank you for all your help. You have been blessing by helping with all my questions. If you want to take a second to look it up gangstslking i suggest it. Thanks again
Thank you for your follow up.

I understand the concept of gangstalking and have read posts about it. However, you also know if you have been researching the issue that it is very hard, if not impossible, to prove in any court. I do not think you are crazy nor do I think you are wrong about this, but again, it is just something that is very tough to prove in a court and you need to target the rape allegation before you do anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again I will be adding money to my account this week and I want to be able to tip you. So I will be sending you at tip of like $20. Is it best that I tip your reply to this question or call customer service to direct a tip to you I just want to make sure younger the whole amount and I am not sure if you only get portion of a new question.
Thank you. You can tip directly through this question and if it does not allow you to do so, only then call customer service and they will assist you. Thank you very much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am having trouble adding more money to my account. I see your tip went through that is good but I have to wait until Monday to add money when I can speak with the billing department. I just wanted to ask you if you would be ok if I asked you a couple more questions next week in relation to gangs talking and if you would be ok with that? And also I have a reply question for my original below:

I have am almost positive that one of the people that are being let into my apartment is my ex-girlfriend’s current husband. Her family knows the police very well.

I believe they are the ones who stole my recorder. So my first question is I have read online where warrantless searches are made legal because the targeted individual is considered a danger or mentally ill as you probably know. Is it true that they do not need a warrant or can my landlord, police, her husband get in trouble for letting people in. If I am to catch them in there would I be better off with a hidden camera without sound or can I use a voice recorder. Since I am not one party to the conversation and I catch them talking in my apartment when I am not home can they still charge me with class e felony for recording a conversation I am not a part of even if it is in my apartment? Or is that different if it my place of residence and they should not be in there; Plus could that help the alleged rape case if I have the not only the video evidence of her and her friends trying to cut me off the road but also video or voice recordings of them breaking into my apartment? Plus during all this where I was apparently blacklisted (gangstalking) when my reorder went missing a few police officers have mentioned to me “threatening the president” and there was a time where I did say to my family the president should be shot” referring to George Bush and 9/11 but I did not threaten him. Could this allow warrantless searches. Lastly, I know my ex girlfriend’s husband’s family does drugs including his parents and his friends. Can this help me with alleged rape can too? And Last week I tried to call the department of justice to check up on a complaint I made about the harassment and lack of police assistance and everytime I called the number I was routed to sex- offenders registry. I think she is telling me to not complain or she will bring me to court. I also have shot some disposable camera pictures of her husband leaving my apartment and I confirmed it was him but everytime I go to develop the camera those specific pictures “did not come out” as the person tells me. Any suggestions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response.

No, a warrantless search is not validated only because a person is mentally ill or a danger to themselves or others. The courts and constitution hold that law enforcement still needs a warrant or one of the narrow court created emergency circumstances to enter and search without a warrant. Your landlord could be sued by you for invasion of privacy and breach of lease for damages for doing this.

You have the right to video in your apartment, just not audio record unless you are a party to the conversation. I would suggest setting up video cameras in your property to seek to catch them entering your apartment and catch them doing whatever they are doing inside your apartment.

Your ex's boyfriend and his sale or use of drugs has nothing to do with the alleged rape charges against you and is not relevant to even be raised in court to help you with those charges.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the breaking in my apartment be used in my favor in alleged rape case
Unless they broke in and planted evidence against you for the rape charge, no it could not be used in your favor.

In fact, no crime they commit or actions they take can help you in the rape case unless they have actual direct connection to your innocence in the rape case, meaning they have to be actually directly related to the rape allegations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So even her cutting me off on the road won't help
Not with the rape charges, those are separate from each other. You can press charges on them for them cutting you off the road and they can go to trial for that, but that does not have anything to do with the allegations of rape.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could it potentially be used to negotiate with her. Also what about the threaten president part
Actually, if you try to threaten to pursue charges that could be deemed to be extortion. If you want to use this to negotiate, go file charges and have her arrested and then YOUR ATTORNEY and not you can make an offer for you to dismiss your charges in exchange for her dropping her charges.

The threatening the president again has nothing to do with any of this I am afraid, that is just a separate issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok this is the last part. Could the running me off the road part be brought as attempted murder or something similar and does me saying the president should be shot constitute a threat to him even though I did not directly say it to him. I used the phrase should be shot
Yes, running you off the road can be considered attempted murder.

Saying a president should be shot, is not a threat. Saying you are going to shoot a president is a threat and illegal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since no charges are brought yet against me should I wait until she does for the video evidence. If I bring her to court now it could hurt my case right. Also after you answer I am going to tip you again. Thanks for everything
Yes, if no charges have been brought against you then you should gather all of your evidence together and wait until charges are brought before you file anything against her as it could be that she has no evidence sufficient to support her allegations of rape.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not see the add bonus button

I do not know where it would be as we experts see a completely different screen than the customer. If you would like help adding a bonus you can contact customer service at http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Thank you very much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks

You're welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since the police fail to write me reports and I don't want to draw attention to the cutting me off the road defense is my video evidence enough or would the courts be likely to ask why I did not ask for a police report for her trying to cut me off
Thank you for your response.

The DA will question why you did not report this to the police when it happened and you will have to explain it to them, but if you have video evidence that should overcome any questions about why you did not report it, since you have proof it happened.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have videos of other people including FBI agents cutting me off some of them are hard to say they are trying to hurt me so my question is this Can I bring more than one case of "attempted murder" with different people or is that likely to work against me and the courts would say come on this's many people
Thank you for your follow up.

Yes, you can file charges on whoever is trying to run you off the road and hurt you. If it is multiple people you can file charges against all of them for each separate incident.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last I am going to be bringing my landlord to court in the next month or so because she has threatened to evict me for making noise complaints and has violated my lease and rights. Could this hurt the alleged rape case being that one of the local officers that showed up for the noise complaints will have to testify and this could make my ex bring charges against me sooner even though she has nothing to do with the noise.
Thank you for the follow up new question.

No, the landlord issue would not bear on any of the other criminal cases. Those are separate from the other claims.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have two final questions pertaining to the running off the road.

1, Most of the time, she or someone else cuts me off when I am driving. Is this enough to say she is trying to hurt/kill me. Plus if in my videos I show that I have to slam on my breaks does that help.

2. Also there are times when I have seen some of her friends and police/fbi cutting me off, so if I also have video proof of that, does that help as well even though it is not directly her. Plus if I brought attempted murder to court, who makes the decision if I bring it to court that way. Can the judge/jury say we do not see that as attempted murder? And I have about 15 instances of her doing that herself. The more the better correct? And if the FBI bring me in for my past drug use can I negotiate with them as well since some of them are cutting me off the road too. Like if I say I will not press charges if I do not get charges with any drug use transportation ect? The reason I mention that is I have a feeling someone in my ex’s family was hurt due to my drug use (indirectly that is) and although I did not do anything to anyone, they might try to use my drug history against me.

1) No, you have to prove they are intentionally trying to cut you off. It is a subjective thing upon the person viewing your video as to their intent, because some people are just crappy drivers and they may not be intentionally trying to harm or kill you.

2) If the people cutting you off have some connection to her and you can show that coupled with the way they are driving to run you off the road on the video, then you can prove a case. Attempted murder requires you proving an actual intent to kill you. This can be tough to do.

The FBI cannot bring you in for past drug use, they have to actually find drugs in your possession.

As far as the family trying to hurt you because of drug use, you would need evidence that they are intentionally trying to harm you to put together the incidents you are experiencing with an actual intent to harm you or kill you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Some if the videos show her and her friends swirving towards me, could that help

That would be evidence you could use, yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a follow up question:

Who decides what the charge could be for people swirving at me and trying to run me off the road? If I try to say attempted murder, does the judge/jury have final say or do I as one bring the charges have say.. Could the court/jury or her attorney have attempted murder dropped how does, could this work?

No, you do not decide on any charges. You report the facts. The DA has the final say so on what to charge someone with and whether it is attempted murder, aggravated assault or nothing at all. Then when the case goes to court once the DA decides on the charge the court can find the person guilty of a lesser and included offense, which is one that has similar elements necessary to prove that offense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wouldn't the da be working both of our cases then? andif so is that not conflict of interest, like for example the da says I have been waiting to bring him down and I am not gouing to let him say attempted murder, no way

It could indeed be a conflict of interest and if it is then the DA can get a DA from another county to come in and take one of the cases over and avoid the contract.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks, would it be guaranteed that There would be another DA because if not she would know my intent

You know, you are now asking questions calling for way too much guessing. If there is a conflict they turn the case over to another DA's office to handle, but it may be they find no conflict or it maybe they bring in a special prosecutor. It all depends and they do have choices.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my friend now lives in another state. If I were to voice record him on our phone call (and he is in a one party consent state as well as I am) I heard that I need a device to hook to my phone. What type of device woudl this be and where can I get one. I understand interstate recording of conversations requires a beeping mechanism be in place. is this true and is it only true for interstate recording what about phone conversations in the same state (with his family)

If both of you are in a one party consent state, you can record the phone conversation based on your consent to the recording. The devices to attach to the phone and a recorder are available at Radio Shack and even Walmart, you need to just go to their electronic department and ask.

The beep tone requires using a cassette recorder or digital recording device hooked into the line of the telephone to produce the beep and this can be found at Radio Shack or other electronics stores. It has to be an in line telephone recorder. The beep tone applies to all interstate recordings, not in state recordings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just learned that I also have aspergers which I mentioned I might above, I have heard that gangstalking and what I am experiencing on the roads is legal if the person is deemed "special" as in autistic. What I am saying is that law enforecement ect uses the person mental heath issues as a way to harass or whatever they call it on there end until they are ready for "the take down" during the investigation. is this true or are they not allowed to harrass.
If they are not allowed to have you heard of rape cases being dropped due to harassment or other issues such as stalking or is the judge likely to say they are allowed to do that to keep track of the suspect? It does not have to be any specific cases but have you ever heard of rape being dropped, and what are some other reasons for it besides harassment and how common is it to be dropped. I am meeting with a lawyer next week and want to have as much info as possible

Thank you for your follow up.

They cannot treat you any different if they KNOW you have a disability. If they are doing this and do not know you have this disability then you cannot accuse them of discrimination and if you just found out you have Asbergers then there is no way to prove that they knew you were disabled and were discriminating against you because of the disability.

I have heard of rape cases dismissed upon proof the defendant was not mentally competent because of Asbergers, but not because of alleged "gangstalking."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wll be giving you a tip later on in the day again.

A few clarificaationsso-- the swiring at me and cutting me off could be used in a separate case but there has never been a court case where the person being harrased uses that info to charge the defendant and negotiate with him/her?

also so you are saying that they can not harrass me to bring me down as in "the take down mentioned above"

plus are there ever times where the person is convicted of rape but allowed to not go to jail.

Lastly lets say I am allowed to liove in the community and am convicted, if the harrasment continues can I I use that to have by record expunged?
Thank you for your response.

I have not found any case where them cutting someone off was grounds to negotiate a deal on another case.

They cannot harass you just to make a case of rape against you, no. They have to have actual evidence against you to charge and convict you of rape.

There are people who are convicted of rape and depending on circumstances of their case negotiate some plea deal for probation and no jail time.

You will not get community service for a rape charge, the best you will get is a suspended sentence and probation if convicted. You could not use the harassment for any reason regarding your rape conviction, especially to get it expunged.