SmithEsq
SmithEsq, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced practicing criminal lawyer ready to answer your questions regarding charges, laws, bail and more.
67917124

What if a deponent signs a supporting deposition in a criminal

What if a deponent signs a supporting deposition in a criminal law case, but forgets (either purposefully or out of carelessness) to include the date? The place to include date is stipulated clearly next to where it says Deponent Signature. Can this be used to the advantage of the Defendant / can the Defendant's attorney raise this with the Assistant District Attorney who supervised the event? Where, if any, does fault lie. What are the full ramifications, if any, to such an omission? How relevant? Is the document no longer valid / or is this scene as an oversight and simply causes the deponent to have to come in and include the date? The technicalities of how such an omission can be used to the advantage of the defendant in a criminal law case are of particular interest in getting this question answered.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Wendy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am ok waiting!
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  SmithEsq replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm a licensed attorney and will be answering your question(s). As a criminal defense attorney, I understand the excitement of seeing such an omission. Unfortunately, in practice, the court Is expeditious and rational, and if the omission is clearly clerical and has no real impact on the case, the court will 99% excuse the error and permit the DA to amend the document orally in court. If the date has some vital importance, that would e different, importance outside its regular importance. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear-I totally understand, but thems the breaks. When you are satisfied with my answer, please accept it so I get credit for my work. I thank you kindly. If you have follow up questions, you can continue to ask them even after you have rated. Keep coming back until You are 100% satisfied.
SmithEsq, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: Experienced practicing criminal lawyer ready to answer your questions regarding charges, laws, bail and more.
Expert:  SmithEsq replied 1 year ago.
Hello! I see you have viewed my answer but have not yet rated. If you feel the answer has been fully addressed, please complete the process by rating my answer, as it is the only way we are given any credit for our work. I know you appreciate the time and effort that I put into your question, as I am 100% committed to providing you with a thorough, thoughtful and intelligent answer. If you have further questions related to this question, by all means, please ask me. But when you are done, Please be so kind as to rate and accept the answer accordingly. I thank you again for the opportunity to serve you.