xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
14261217

I lived with brother for a few years and he made me feel so

I lived with brother for a few years and he made me feel so uncomfortable that I would spend most if my time in my room. he is not the only reason i stayed in my room. I was also depressed but when I would spend timein the living room ect he would make me feel very uncomfortable and he pikced apart everything I did so i stayed in my room. Also he woudl play louf music at night to show his dominance and slam things at night and in the morning. I suffer from mental illness and need the extra sleep, could i recoup any costs for rent as he as he did not provide a reasonalbe living arrangment for me
Thanks for using JustAnswer.com. It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

What state do you live in?

Do you have a guardian?

Do you have any other family member(s) or friends that you can live with?

Is the home that you live in with your brother, belong to your brother?

THanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What state do you live in?--New York

Do you have a guardian?--No, I am 30 years old

Do you have any other family member(s) or friends that you can live with?-- i already lhave my own apartment, I lived with him last year

Is the home that you live in with your brother, belong to your brother?--yes it is his house

Thanks

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the information.

How long ago did you move out?

Was there a written lease? How much rent did you pay?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I paid 300 per month, there was no written lease and I moved out last sept-oct time frame

Hi Tom,

Is there a reason as to why you didn't bring an action against your brother BEFORE you moved out?

Is there a reason why you are just now wanting to file an action?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Because I was afraid of retlatiation from my family because I had a drug history and did no twant them to turn me in even though I went through treatment. I guess though now, there is no proof of any drugs I did but the statute of limitations is still open, My family is very two faced and always have ulterior motives

Hi Tom,

You are REALLY in a tough situation.

What part of New York does your brother live in?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rochester ny

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the information.

Below is a link to Tenants Rights in Rochester, New York. It is VERY informational.

http://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/pdfs/publications/Tenant_Rights_2011.pdf

After you have read the brochure above that explains your rights, and you believe that you can sue your brother, you may find legal assistance at the link provided below:

http://tenant.net/forum/board/messages/arcs00/arcs0006/9134.html

You can discuss the specific facts of your case with an attorney (pro bono--for free), evaluate your options and decide how best you can proceed.

I certainly understand your frustration with the way that your brother treated you and your frustration with your family. It must have been EXTREMELY stressful for you.

I hope you find this information useful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

xavierjd

***Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace the advice or assistance of an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. If you need any more information, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you!

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for the "excellent service" rating! It is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you found the information useful.

If you have future questions, you can specifically request me by name as the expert.

Thanks again,

xavierjd