How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 36125
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A 24 years woman left her house for 4 years. During her 4 years

Customer Question

A 24 years woman left her house for 4 years. During her 4 years stay away from home she accused her father of sexual abuse when she was a child. She did that through several emails addressed to his personal and professional email box. He replied to her telling her that she is mentally sick and needs treatment. Her father got her to come back home and when she did he took her with his lawyer to a psychiatrist who diagnosed her with Schizophrenia in one session. Is the father disculpated ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You for offering your assistamce.

Since this story happened in the USA between 2009 and 2013 between an American citizen and his new wife a foreign national who obtained a green card through her marriage i would like to have the best advice as to how to sue them under American jurisdiction. SHould I start with a Police Report ? Both her and her American husband threatened different family members asking for inheritence birth rights of the daughter while her parents are stil alive ! Am i too late to sue for criminal charges uner US law ? Need an advice on that please.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Elsa,

Thank you for letting us know that this question belongs in US law. I have moved it there, where a criminal legal expert should be able to address your concerns under American law.

Thanks for your patience. We will look for a legal professional to assist you.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of the situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

From a criminal law perspective, while the diagnosis of Schizophrenia does not mean that the allegations against the father are not true, the mental illness does suggest that the woman may be imagining what she claims was done to her by her father.

And further, her credibility is weakened and she might well not make a credible witness in a criminal proceeding. And based upon that, the state's attorney might not be prepared to prosecute the father without some corroborating evidence from an independent source.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,