Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

I made a mistake at my job at BestBuy, I was blackmailed into

I made a mistake at my job at BestBuy, I was blackmailed into helping someone commit insurance fraud (which I was highly regret) and in the process had some personal gain as well. The trade was 3 low end phones for 3 very high end phones, probably about $2000 worth of loss to the company. I was called back and interrogated not too long after the incident, in which I explained in detail what actually happened and offered to pay the company back for the lost phones through my paycheck or by any means possible. My employer had me write this out and told me they would have to send it to HR and I would have to wait for a response and since then be put on suspension from my job. It has been about 5 days and I am terrified. I am just in pain at the idea of going to prison, I have never committed a crime before and I do not know what to do at this point. Please help me!
I am a Florida attorney and I believe I can provide assistance here. However, you did not actually ask a question. So, what is your question this evening? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just need to know what I should do next. I am worried they might try to arrest me when I go back in.

Unfortunately, an arrest is certainly possible. As you suggested, the actions you described could certainly be considered theft and, as such, could lead to an arrest and a criminal prosecution. On the plus side, the charges are not terribly egregious. The first benefit from this would be that you would likely have a very reasonable bond and would be eligible to be released very quickly after an arrest.

.

Another benefit from the charges being fairly innocuous is that you would likely be able to obtain a rather favorable result. With your lack of a criminal history, I would think that you could resolve the case by being placed on probation and paying fines and costs.

.

Your question was extremely broad, please let me know if anything requires clarification.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess what I am trying to ask if it is possible to ward off criminal convictions if I were to pay the amount back in full and resign from my job, and if I am to speak with officers should I contact an attorney?

Well, I suppose it is "possible" to avoid a criminal conviction by paying the amount back and resigning your position. However, this would really be up to Best Buy. You could certainly make that offer and see if they find it an acceptable resolution.

.

And yes, it would be wise to retain an attorney if a criminal case is initiated. A criminal defense attorney could obtain all the discovery from the prosecutor, review everything for any legal issues, engage in plea negotiations and help ensure the best possible result.

.
.
.
.