Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor

I was convicted of a misdemeanor sex offense in NY, and moved

I was convicted of a misdemeanor sex offense in NY, and moved to Florida afterwards to serve 6 years probation. I have since finished my probation but noticed that i am registered with a felony conviction both here in Florida and in NY. Is there anything I can do to change this?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
I am a Florida criminal defense attorney and I believe I may be able to provide assistance. However, I need a bit of clarification first. Where is it that you are "registered with a felony conviction" in Florida? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX in Florida but was convicted in Brooklyn ,NY. When I look myself up here in fl SO database or in NY's it shows as a felony charge even though I plead guilty to misdemeanor charge.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what database you're using in Florida? Can you post a link? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FDLE: Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators Registry

http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/SomsSUBDirectory/offenderDetails.jsp?offenderid=25184

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the links. So you know, the FDLE link was to the search page, not a page specific to you. However, the New York link went directly to a page listing an offender. Assuming that to be you, I then used that name on the FDLE page. So as not to list your name, I'll just use the initials AA. If this is incorrect, please let me know.

.

As to the New York website, it lists a conviction for a sexual abuse offense and shows it as a second degree misdemeanor. Based on your statements, this appears to be accurate information.

.

As to the Florida website, it does not list the level of offense at all. Rather, it merely indicates that you must register as a sex offender while making no mention of a misdemeanor or a felony. Again, this appears to be accurate information.

.

While I can absolutely understand your concern about this information being posted, it does seem to be accurate. If it is accurate, then you have no legal basis to have it removed or amended.

.

If I have anything incorrect, please let me know.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor