Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  OHIO//Texas Attorney Civil/Crimnal Practice
14472836

i just got pulled over comming home from work and they were

Customer Question

i just got pulled over comming home from work and they were going to pull me over for throwing a cig out the window but they were riding my back for at least ten miles befor they pulled me over and they also got me at 90 miles a hour so what will happen? i know they said i will get a citation but what will happen and what do i have to do for that?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What was the speed limit ?

Did they give you a speeding ticket ?

Did They indicate what the citation was for ?

Answers to these question will help me provide better service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i got off work at 2 in the morning and left there about 230 and got on the highway around 245. i threw my cigarette out the window as i got on the highway i was under the speed limit which is 65 mph so i catch up to 60 and kept driving went to pass someone and saw headlights just follow me by that time i was doin 70 to 75 mph and they stayed behind me like they were tring to tail gate me and so i finally speed up to 80 and up some more to get them off me then my exit came up and i slowed down but the car was still on me and thats when i got off the exit that i was pulled over. they said that i littered and that my lincence plate cover was illegal and then the speeding part. the cop asked his questions and i answered them and he told me that i would get a citation in the mail in about 10 days.
Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.

What happened to you is not atypical. After midnight the police are on heightened awareness to look for drivers that are intoxicated. They need some excuse any excuse to pull someone over to check for being drunk or drug possession. In some cases they get it right individual is over the limit, in other cases they find something else.

The citation is similar to a ticket, it will however list the violations and contain a court date for a hearing. It appears you will be cited for littering, speeding, and your license plate cover.

Here is what you are looking at:

PA Vehicle Code, Title 75, Chapter 37 - litter and waste dropped, thrown or deposited from a vehicle onto a road right-of-way Penalties: considered a summary offense, imposes a fine of not more than $900, depending on where the dumping occurs, and/or picking up and removing litter from public or private property.

From the PA Fine Card going 90 in a 65 MPH Zone $82.50 See:http://www.justdrivepa.org/Resources/Pennsylvania%20Traffic%20Violation%20Fine%20Card.pdf

License PLate Cover $100.00

Section 1332 of the Vehicles Law : "It is unlawful to display on any vehicle a registration plate which: (1) is so dirty as to prevent the reading of the number or letters thereon at a reasonable distance; (2) is obscured in any manner which inhibits the proper operation of an automated red light enforcement system ... ; (3) is otherwise illegible at a reasonable distance or is obscured in any manner. ...

(c) Penalty for obscured plate.--Any person who violates subsection (b)(2) commits a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $100.

Court Cost $125.00

If you found this answer useful please ACCEPT my answer; press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

Jack R., Lawyer
Experience: OHIO//Texas Attorney Civil/Crimnal Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how many points am i lookin at gettin on my lincense and do they go off after time or do i have to go to school to get them taken off? could i be looking at jail time also because this is the first time i got in trouble for being pulled over?
Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.

Here are the points for speeding.

• Exceeding the speed limit by six to 10 mph: 2 points
    • Exceeding the speed limit by 11 to 15 mph: 3 points and a 15-day suspension if in a work zone
    • Exceeding the speed limit by 16 to 25 mph: 4 points and a 15-day suspension if in a work zone
    • Exceeding the speed limit by 26 to 30 mph: 5 points and a 15-day suspension if in a work zone
    • Exceeding the speed limit by 31 mph or more: 5 points, a 15-day

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
    how do i get rid of the points then and should i get a lawyer or not cause my friend said they can take my lincense away for a year and i have to drive to work and dont have anyone to pick me up or take me home
    Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.
    How many points do you have now ? Are you over 18 ?
    Customer: replied 1 year ago.
    i dont have any points and yes i will be years old this year
    Expert:  Jack R. replied 1 year ago.

If you get hit with an exorbitant speeding citation (driving 31 MPH above the limit). You will have a hearing. At the hearing a department examiner will either recommend a 15-day suspension or a special on-road test. Suspension will result in a five-point burden on your license. You will also get 5 points.

1. If you have under 6 points you do not have a problem
    2. A first-time accumulation of six points means you'll have to pass a written exam based on safe driving practices, department sanctions, and related safety issues.
    3. A second-time accumulation of six points means you'll have to attend a PennDOT department hearing. At the hearing, an examiner will review your driving record.
    4. Based on his or her decision, you will be slapped with a 15-day suspension and be required to pass a special on-road driving examination.
    5. A third- or subsequent accumulation of six points means you'll be notified of a mandatory PennDOT department hearing. A hearing examiner will review your record and decide whether or not to impose a 30-day suspension. Failure to appear will result in an immediate suspension that won't be lifted until you attend a hearing.
    6. If you have more than 11 points an immediate license suspension is mandatory. The duration will be based on your past suspension record:
    • One suspension: five days per point
    • Two suspensions: 10 days per point
    • Three suspensions: 15 days per point
    • Subsequent suspensions: one year

For every 12 months you drive point free they will deduct 3 points..