Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Not sure if this qualifies as criminal but my husband received

Not sure if this qualifies as criminal but my husband received the summons to go to jury duty and he is disregarding it.
What are the repercussions against him?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

The specific penalty depends on what state you're in, BUT generally, if a person fails to appear for jury duty, the person will usually receive a fine and can also be charged with contempt of court, which could result in being jailed. While being jailed is an extreme penalty, the court certainly has the right to do this as a result of a person's failure to appear for jury duty.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, if he doesnt go in tommorrow he will face a fine? what are we looking at in NY?

Here's a link about jury service and penalties for failure to appear in NY:

There's not a specific amount for a fine as it is up to the judge, but the general fine is from $100-$250.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kirk- Your answer is much appreciated, nonetheless I am still not clear.

Can he get out of this by saying we never received it? Also, how likely is it that he will get fined? If so, what's the highest amount?Will that go on his record?

Claiming he didn't receive it probably isn't going to get him very far UNLESS the clerk's office actually received the letter back in the mail (return to sender, insufficient/incorrect address, etc.).

If he fails to appear, he should bank on being fined. Again, there's no specific fine amount that I'm aware of - - it really depends on the judge, but the norm seems to be $100-$250; although I did see in my research where a fine of $500 had been levied for this.

If the judge issued a contempt order against him, it would likely be a civil contempt order, which would not go on his record.