LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

Do I have to put my unloaded long gun in my cars trunk when

Do I have to put my unloaded long gun in my car's trunk when transporting it?

Good afternoon Frank,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under CA law, long guns---unless they fall under the CA definition of assault weapon---AK 47's, AR 15's M-4's etc., don't fall within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025, and need not be locked while being transported. They simply need to be unloaded.

Here is a memo from the CA Attorney General's Office on this matter:

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you need any clarification of my answer.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed, so that I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. I will be happy to continue further, and to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Frank. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (8-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.