Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

Does the US Marshals have the right to enter my home and search

Does the US Marshal's have the right to enter my home and search my computer just because I am a registered sex offender. I have done my yearly registrations as required and have no complaints against me. They said they just want to "make sure" there is nothing illegal on my computer.

JD 1992 :

Did they have a warrant?

Customer:

no warrant, just want to view my computer to make sure nothing illegal is on it

JD 1992 :

They can ask but they don't have the authority to enter the home without a warrant, absent your permission. If you are still on parole or probation then the conditions of those will allow them to do so.

Customer:

I am not on parole or probation, the state police just told me when they visited to confirm my residence that the US Marshal's would be stopping by to view my computer

JD 1992 :

There is nothing that allows them to do so without a warrant or your permission.

Customer:

thank you very much for your assistance

JD 1992 :

I've never seen the US Marshalls do that anyway.

Customer:

I thought they would need a warrant I just wanted to confirm it

JD 1992 :

Yes they would.

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you.

Customer:

thanks again

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information. Also, issuing a positive rating keeps the question from “timing out” so you can return in the future if you think of a follow up.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.