Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  14 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

Hi, my friend who lives in detroit texted a 13yr old girl mistaking

Hi, my friend who lives in detroit texted a 13yr old girl mistaking it for one of the woman he met on a dating site. After this my firend and the girl texted each other for 2 days. They texted abt who they are , were they are from whom and what do they do, no sexual texts were exchanged. My friend stopped texting her after he realised it is not legal to text a minor girl.

The girl suddenly texted my friend after 3 months enquiring how he was doing. Then she was texting that she is in trouble in school, she was suspended from school for a week. My friend then advised her to talk to her mother and her teachers. She without even being asked sent my friend her picture. It was not a nude picture. It was a picture showing her face taken in some mall.

After few weeks police contacted my friend and were enquiring him about the text messages. They asked him to block her number and then not to respond to her texts or calls. They never spoke to each other. My friend has never met her nor does he know her name or where she lives.

Will he be convicted or arrested or charged?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
As long as friend didn't send any nude pictures of himself or solicit the girl for any type of sexual contact after he was made aware of her age, he has not violated any laws and there would be no grounds to charge him with any crime.
.
Since he hasn't broken any laws, the police contact was purely a proactive approach by them to notify him to not have any further contact with the minor. If any law had been broken, they would have already filed some type of criminal charges.
.
So no, I see no grounds for friend to be charged with anything.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the quick response. My friend did not send any nude picture. He just sent a picture showing his face. He did not solicit the girl for any sexual contact. When asked by the girl about the kind of relationship he likes to have. For which he said he wishes her to be her girl friend. Nothing more.

Anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance

Jade.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Nope, I don't see any violations of the law here. I don't think friend has anything to worry about.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Barrister,

Thank you very much. Your reply will give my friend a new life. He will go to bed in peace and with huge burden off his mind and heart.

Thanks again,

Appreciate your quick and positive respone.

Jade

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Glad I could help.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience: 14 years practicing criminal defense.