Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

My girlfriend has a history of scamming people. Sadly, I am

My girlfriend has a history of scamming people. Sadly, I am one of her victims. If I were to continue posting info about her on the internet to warn people and send email to her acquaintances on how she lies and deceives people, pointing out the on line court records for her bankruptcy filings and civil court cases filed against her to collect the money she owes, would I commit cyber bullying and harassment? She sent me a notice asking me to stop bad mouthing her, which I did not. I just pointed out the publicly available, on line info related to her court cases and records.
Hi

Thank you for your question. I will be the Pro who will be providing information for you today.

Please tell me what state - because even though this is true information and not defamation, it could be harassment since she has requested you to cease and desist. Please give me the state so I may review those statutes

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She and I live in Virginia.

Hi

I suggest that according to the VA law which you can read at this link what you are doing is NOT harassment

The law at the link states the following

§ 18.2-152.7:1. Harassment by computer; penalty.

If any person, with the intent to coerce, intimidate, or harass any person, shall use a computer or computer network to communicate obscene, vulgar, profane, lewd, lascivious, or indecent language, or make any suggestion or proposal of an obscene nature, or threaten any illegal or immoral act, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

And so as long as what you are saying is truth you are not breaking any laws and she cannot sue you for stating the truth. However, it is one thing to produce court documents which speak for themselves but it is one's opinion as to what that means the person is. So I suggest that is you are saying she is a scammer you may consider prefacing it with "IN my opinion"

I think I have answered your question. Remember, I can only answer and provide true and correct information for what you ask.

Otherwise, please rate this service below Good to Excellent so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close the question and it will always be available for follow ups. A Rating will only close a CHAT and then convert it to a QA where you can always access it.

Thank You and good luck with everything

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. XXXXX be committing cyber bullying if I were to continue using the internet/email to inform her acquaintances and the "netizens" of the truth, pointing to the publicly available on line court records?

Hi

Thank you for the follow up

I suggest the answer to be No. Cyberbullying falls under the same VA statute I provided for harassment.

Thank You and good luck with everything