LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

Maximum penalty for violation of Virginia Criminal Code 18

Customer Question

Maximum penalty for violation of Virginia Criminal Code 18.2-204.2
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Earl,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Is your only question what the maximum criminal penalty is for the stated violation of the VA Criminal Code?

Was the document made for the purpose of changing the age of the person presenting the identification---of of some other factor?

What was the document produced?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The document was an expired US Military ID card. A xerox picture had been taked over the original and other obvious changes made to the card. It was never presented as a form of ID.

The card did not come into the officer's attention until he asked where the name came form which was on the uniform name tag since it was obviously a different name.

The officer had already examined my wallet and passed over the ID card unitl I responded to his question.

The card was not obtained via any illegal action, it was never used as identification, simply back up for a different name being on the uniform and it would never have passed even a cursory examination.

Repeating, the card was never presented to anyone as a form of identification.

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information, Earl,

You have a couple of issues here. The forgery was clearly a state crime under VA laws, but it is also a Federal crime as it involves forgery of a federal identification card. The quality of the forgery is not an issue in guilt or innocence.

I will presume that you created the card.

Under VA law, the crime is a class 1 misdemeanor. Pursuant to

§ 18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

However, as the card was forged with the intent of changing the name, and not dimply the age of the individual, the prosecutor can bypass charging under 18.2-204.2, and see charges under 18.2-172, and this would make it a class 5 felony, for which the punishment could be:

§ 18.2-10. Punishment for conviction of felony; penalty.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a felony are:

(e) For Class 5 felonies, a term of imprisonment of not less than one year nor more than 10 years, or in the discretion of the jury or the court trying the case without a jury, confinement in jail for not more than 12 months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

I wish you the best in 2013.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

You may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.

Thank you,

Doug

LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience: 30 years legal experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The charge sheet clearly states Class 2 Misdemeanor.

Does that affect the answer your provided or does it mean the charge sheet is incorrect and will be changed onthe trial date?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening Earl,

If the charge is a Class 2 misdemeanor---then that is all that the charge will be. The prosecutor is responsible for the charge filed with the court.

It is unlikely that the charge would be upgraded for any reason.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (8-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.