Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

I now live in Houston, but have a court date where I previously

I now live in Houston, but have a court date where I previously lived, Gainesville, GA this week. I have to fly there, but can't afford attorney so I'm showing up solo. I applied for a public defender but denied for reasons unknown, but I have no money, lucky to have a job but doesn't pay well.

Seems like under my circumstances, I should get a public defender, work together through technology (email, phone, etc) so judge's time is saved.

Should I call the clerks office again? Already did once...

Unfortunately, calling the clerks office won't help you any. The clerk does not have the authority to move your court date or to now appoint the public defender. If you do not appear in court this week, it is quite likely that the judge will issue a warrant for your arrest.

.

Instead, you should consider appearing in court this week to address the matter with the judge. First, you might check with him again on the appointment of the public defender. While you were denied once, there is certainly no harm in checking again. If the judge is still unwilling to appoint the public defender, you could request that he move any future court date out as far as possible so as to give you time to look into hiring an attorney and so that you are not making a return trip in the very near future.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, so I have to be there Wednesday no matter what, tell the judge I have no lawyer and currently can't afford one?

1 of 2 things will happen, date gets pushed way out so I can try to get a personal lawyer or judge will have one appointed to me?

And I should plan on at least 2 plane tickets back to Georgia?

Is there any way I could do a plea deal since I live out of state?

Getting specifics here should satisfy my expectations, thank you for your time!

so I have to be there Wednesday no matter what, tell the judge I have no lawyer and currently can't afford one? Yes, you need to be there. And yes, you can certainly try a second time for the appointment of a public defender, the worst that will happen is that you will be denied again.
.

1 of 2 things will happen, date gets pushed way out so I can try to get a personal lawyer or judge will have one appointed to me? Correct. If the case is put out a bit in time, that should give you an opportunity to retain a private attorney.

.

And I should plan on at least 2 plane tickets back to Georgia? I wouldn't say that. If you hire a private attorney, the attorney should be able to handle the bulk of your court appearances for you. In fact, it is not unreasonably to expect that you may not need to make another trip back.

.

Is there any way I could do a plea deal since I live out of state? Yes, as I alluded to in the previous answer, a private attorney can handle much of this for you. In resolving the case, it is certainly possible that he could work out a satisfactory plea offer or, perhaps, even get the case dropped for you.

.
.
.
.