Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Hello and Happy Easter. Heres my question...I dont know

Hello and Happy Easter. Here's my question...I don't know if it's criminal but it should be. My husband's identity was stolen in Georgia. This person stole my husband's SS# XXXXX used it while working in GA. Unfortunately, this person chose not to pay his state taxes and since he used my husband's #, my husband now has a judgment on his credt to the State of Georgia for $11K.
What do we do now???
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

I'm very sorry to hear this, as it's one of everyone's worst nightmares. It is, of course, a crime and it is Federal. Your husband needs to notify the social security administration that his number has been compromised. You can find more information about this on the Social Security Administration's website here

Also, he must report this issue to the IRS so that he can sort out this debt. The IRS has an Identity Theft Hotline. You can call them at 1-800-908-4490.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He filed a notice of Alleged Forgery with the State of GA, Department of Revenue. I can call the SSA tomorrow but shouldn't I do something to get this off his credit report?? The tax lien is now up to $24K!! He never lived in Georgia and never worked for Walgreens.

Any other suggestions?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello Laura,

He has to resolve the tax debt before he can get this off of his credit history. The fact that you have reported this as a fraud doesn't mean that there is a legal determination that he doesn't owe the money. And he still needs to call the IRS as well because they too need to know that this income and debt is not his and that his SSN has been compromised. I'd also call the FBI if it hasn't been done yet. I have linked you to their field offices.

I'm neither an accountant nor a tax lawyer, but I suspect that using one in Georgia may be helpful here to get everything he needs to get done quickly and right.
Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.