Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor

If you are under an investigation for a criminal misdemeanor

If you are under an investigation for a criminal misdemeanor can they tap your phones easily. Im curious since 911 homeland security have the privacy rights have been made less lenient to easily tap lines. Keep in mind its a simple crime but they used helicopters for this investigation.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

If there is an active criminal investigation, it is possible to obtain a warrant, this is true regardless of the level of the suspected offense. Having said that, it would be unlikely that a warrant would be obtained for a misdemeanor offense. First, law enforcement officers rarely expend that much time to investigate misdemeanors, it just isn't considered worth the effort. Second, keep in mind that a judge would need to sign off on the warrant and part of the judge's analysis would involve a balancing test between the invasion of the suspect's privacy and the protection of society. If the suspected activity is only a misdemeanor, then there isn't much "protection of society" to be concerned with.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor