LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

If a person is arrested with one charge but agrees in a plea

If a person is arrested with one charge but agrees in a plea bargain to a lesser charge, does the arrest charge change to the lesser charge, or does the arrest charge stay the same?

My name isXXXXX'm a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

I'm pleased to share the following information with you. Here's how this works. I'll use homicide just for a common example. Say a person is arrest for first degree murder. However, later the prosecution amends to the lesser offense of second degree murder. The defendant will be prosecuted for second degree murder. Likewise, if convicted, it will be for second degree murder. However, as to the actual arrest, that stays the same. In other words, it would be accurate to say: "John Doe was arrested on a charge of first degree murder and later prosecuted for second degree murder".

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Ben, J.D.